[Grammar] Past Simple or Past Continuous: When the teacher [looked/was looking] out the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

naweewra

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Are both Past Simple and Past Continuous verb forms acceptable in the following sentence?

"When the teacher [looked/was looking] out the window, he slipped a note to his friend."

a) When the teacher looked out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.

To me, the Past Simple form implies a sequence of action. The teacher looked out the window. Then he slipped a note to a friend.

b) When the teacher was looking out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.
c) While the teacher was looking out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.

Can the action of looking out the window be the background if "look" is in the Past Continuous form? Or for the sentence to make sense, I would have to change from "when" to "while"?

Do "when" and "while" in these sentences differ much in meaning?

Thank you.

Nawee

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

Are both Past Simple and Past Continuous verb forms acceptable in the following sentence?

"When the teacher [looked/was looking] out the window, he slipped a note to his friend."

a) When the teacher looked out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.

To me, the Past Simple form implies a sequence of action. The teacher looked out the window. Then he slipped a note to a friend.

b) When the teacher was looking out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.
c) While the teacher was looking out the window, he slipped a note to his friend.

Can the action of looking out the window be the background if "look" is in the Past Continuous form? Or for the sentence to make sense, I would have to change from "when" to "while"?

Do "when" and "while" in these sentences differ much in meaning?

Thank you.

Nawee

If you want to imply a sequence of events, write "When/After the teacher had looked out (of) the window, he slipped a note to his friend". If the actions were simultaneous, "While the teacher was looking out (of) the window, he slipped a note to his friend" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.