Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I knew I’d be short of money if I didn’t work before going to university, so I decided not to jet around the globe, and found a job in the nearest town instead. I had to live in because of early shifts, and only realised on about day two it meant I couldn’t keep up my tennis – that was a blow, because I was a very keen player. But I got over it in the end, which just goes to show nothing’s that important. Anyway, I was having too much fun with the rest of the staff to fret about it – I wonder if they’re all still there? The worst part of the job was when guests complained, which they frequently did!

This is a transcript of a CPE listening excersise, which can be found here.

The idea of this excersise is to choose from a list which benefit of having a gap year each speaker mentions. According the answer key it's "dealing with disappointments", but I chose "overcoming financial problems." I see where the examiners are coming from. The speaker mentions that she had to give up playing tennis which was a disappointment, but in the beginning she also mentions that she knew that she'd be short of money which is why she decided to work before going off to school.

Do you agree that both answers are possible?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. For speakers of AmE, in case you are unfamiliar with a "gap year", it is a year between leaving school and going to university, which some young people use as an opportunity to travel, earn money, or get experience of working. Definition courtesy of Longman.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
This is a transcript of a CPE listening exercise, which can be found here.

The idea of this exercise is to choose from a list which benefit of having a gap year each speaker mentions. According the answer key it's "dealing with disappointments", but I chose "overcoming financial problems." I see where the examiners are coming from. The speaker mentions that she had to give up playing tennis which was a disappointment, but in the beginning she also mentions that she knew that she'd be short of money which is why she decided to work before going off to school.

Do you agree that both answers are possible?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. For speakers of AmE, in case you are unfamiliar with a "gap year", it is a year between leaving school and going to university, which some young people use as an opportunity to travel, earn money, or get experience of working. Definition courtesy of Longman.

Both answers are possible.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Though I couldn't find the recording in question with your link, (and I am not a native speaker of English), I read carefully the script and I noticed that the speaker does NOT mention how he benefited from his job financially. He only mentions the REASON why he took up the job - to earn money, but we don't know if he / she earned a lot (perhaps he didn't earn enough - we just don't know). So, we can't say that the job helped him to "overcome financial problems". (IMHO);-)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Though I couldn't find the recording in question with your link, (and I am not a native speaker of English), I read carefully the script and I noticed that the speaker does NOT mention how he benefited from his job financially. He only mentions the REASON why he took up the job - to earn money, but we don't know if he / she earned a lot (perhaps he didn't earn enough - we just don't know). So, we can't say that the job helped him to "overcome financial problems". (IMHO);-)

Here's a direct link to the recording.

Well, you make a good point and perhaps that's what the examiners were after, but I don't necessarily agree. The question asks, 'For questions 26 – 30, choose from the list (A – H) which benefit of having a gap year each speaker mentions.' Yes, the speaker does not mention how he or she has benefited from the job, but I think that that goes without saying. The reason for taking the job is also a benefit of having a gap year, namely, overcoming a potential financial hurdle.

I don't think that this is a particulary good question because it leaves room for more than possible answer. I'm glad to hear that bhai is on my side ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.