Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I recently listened to a podcast on English Pronunciation and one thing about schwa got me confused. I had this impression that schwa happens in unstressed syllables. The host used an example: trusted and said the "u" is a schwa. Isn't the first syllable stressed? he also mentioned "gun," which got me even more confused.

could you help me on this?

Thanks
Harriet

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

Good evening,
I think it is just a matter of pace of speaking. If you look up words you mentioned in an online dictionary, and play them, you're bound to find them sound as you are used to them - standard (RP) according to the IPA symbols that we can find in every dictionary. Try to say, for example: I didn't expect the gun to be that dangerous. You are not going to find yourself pronouncing a pure /ʌ/ .

Last edited:

harriet_yang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think I got it. Words pronunciation varies in sentences depending on what you are trying to emphasizing.

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
N.A.T. :)

I think I got it. Words pronunciation varies in sentences depending on what you are trying to emphasizing. try to emphasize

I think there are actually more things than just emphasis that should be taken into account, such as accent, emphasis - as you wrote, pace, situation, or even various speech defects. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

I recently listened to a podcast on English Pronunciation and one thing about schwa got me confused. I had this impression that schwa happens in unstressed syllables. The host used an example: trusted and said the "u" is a schwa. Isn't the first syllable stressed? he also mentioned "gun," which got me even more confused.

could you help me on this?

Thanks
Harriet
I'd explain in it different terms. The podcast is wrong (if it actually says that). The 'u' in 'trusted' in not a schwa.

Status
Not open for further replies.