Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    eric2004 Guest

Sir Ronbee, then do you think "basic infrastructure" can work? if sitll not, I'm gonna give up and only use both of them in essays. Sigh, that would be repetitious a little.

Tax your brain means " stimulate your brain? or stir, stir up, etc.?

New Sir, why you laugh? You never know the feeling of helplessness in an exam which you only know a little. Sigh, in oral test, I feel like dying if i can't find some words in my mind immediately and my examiner at that time only quietly but anxiously look at me.
    So I wanna make her or him feel betther when we're talking. xixi. so ass-kissing is fine.
    It may help me to get higher score.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    Sir Ronbee, then do you think "basic infrastructure" can work? if sitll not, I'm gonna give up and only use both of them in essays. Sigh, that would be repetitious a little.
    The term "basic" is built in to the definition of infrastructure.

• infrastructure
      n.
      1. An underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.
      2. The basic facilities, services, and installations needed for the functioning of a community or society, such as transportation and communications systems, water and power lines, and public institutions including schools, post offices, and prisons.

infrastructure
      n 1: the basic framework or features of a system or organization 2: the basic facilities and equipment needed for the functioning of a country or area; "the industrial base of Japan" (WordNet)
      http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=infrastructure

A synonym for infrastructure is base.

Tax your brain means " stimulate your brain? or stir, stir up, etc.?
    Yes, something that taxes your brain makes you think.

New Sir, why you laugh? You never know the feeling of helplessness in an exam which you only know a little. Sigh, in oral test, I feel like dying if i can't find some words in my mind immediately and my examiner at that time only quietly but anxiously look at me.
    So I wanna make her or him feel betther when we're talking. xixi. so ass-kissing is fine.
    It may help me to get higher score.
    To "ass-kiss" is flatter somebody with the intention of getting some kind of favor. If your examiner likes flattery that might be helpful, but I have my doubts. The examiner will probably be expecting a response that is germane to the question asked.

Perhaps if you are having trouble coming up with a response to a question you could take a sip of water before answering.

Take a couple of deep breaths to help you compose yourself.

Do some little thing to take your mind off your nervousness.

Caseopia and Shane might have some tips for you. They are both ESL teachers.

Relax.

:D

shane is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't 'arse-kiss' (or even 'brown nose') in your exam, it's too obvious, and would be detrimental to your score, IMHO.

I think the advice RonBee gave is great; take a sip of water, or do something that will win your a couple of seconds to compose yourself.

In IELTS, the examiner is looking for your ability to express yourself in a normal, natural manner. He's not looking for flashiness in people's answers.

This link will take you to a guide to doing a job interview in the UK. I think it can guide you in how to conduct yourself in the IELTS exam, as they are similar in atmosphere IMO.

*On a seperate note, I knew a girl who really arse-kissed in her IELTS exam. She flirted with the guy, took him out to dinner, and STILL got a bad score!!*

eric2004 Guest

Wow, two Sir. Thanks for all your help.

Sir,Ronbee, I just exaggerated my meaning. I won't Flirt with my examiner. Hehe.

Your advices are really helpful, I have brought them in my minds. Hmm, there is not water I can drink for relaxation.

Hm, I can only "hmm" or "errrr" when I feel trouble to think words. Are there some other words which can deal with such occassions?

Sir Shane, I found I got habbits in oral test. I don't know if that's bad for me.

1, I got used to say "I think" . Just occassionaly say "I believe" and totally no other ideas about this expression.

2, I always say "just ", little chances to say " only" or "merely"

3, I don't know whether I can express my ideas directly. Like some complaints about something.
    And I'm not sure whether I can say "bullshit", "stupid" ," pig" or something to express my disatisfactory about my present situation or some social situation in China.
    Hmm, or some international issues.
    Like, I support America attacked Iraq and I despise racist in Arab and China.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Btw, that url can't work. Is it a rebellious website? Xixi, China government shields such websites.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, two Sir. Thanks for all your help.

Sir,Ronbee, I just exaggerated my meaning. I won't Flirt with my examiner. Hehe.

Your advices are really helpful, I have brought them in my minds. Hmm, there is not water I can drink for relaxation.

Hm, I can only "hmm" or "errrr" when I feel trouble to think words. Are there some other words which can deal with such occassions?

Sir Shane, I found I got habbits in oral test. I don't know if that's bad for me.

1, I got used to say "I think" . Just occassionaly say "I believe" and totally no other ideas about this expression.

2, I always say "just ", little chances to say " only" or "merely"

3, I don't know whether I can express my ideas directly. Like some complaints about something.
    And I'm not sure whether I can say "bullshit", "stupid" ," pig" or something to express my disatisfactory about my present situation or some social situation in China.
    Hmm, or some international issues.
    Like, I support America attacked Iraq and I despise racist in Arab and China.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Btw, that url can't work. Is it a rebellious website? Xixi, China government shields such websites.
    Normally, I wouldn't use advices, but it seems to make sense when it's about advice from two different people.

Perhaps: "Hm. That's an interesting question." :wink:

How about: "Would you please repeat that question?" :wink:

Try: "Thank you." :)

(You can probably use that last one a lot. How can they criticize you for being polite?)

:wink:

[Edited for punctuation.]

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly would refrain from making any political comments during the exam. Nor would I insult the examiner. I understand that you want to express your views, but there is certainly a better (and safer) time and place for that.

I don't see why that website would be blocked. It's not political. From the website:

• INTRODUCTION

The interview is probably the hardest part of getting a job, especially if English is not your first language. This section will help you to prepare for the interview. The sample interview will help you to think about some typical questions which you may be asked, so that you can think about how you would answer those.
      http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Work/Interview.htm

(Say: dissatisfaction.)

:)

eric2004 Guest

Ok. it can work now.

Hm, "Hm. That's an interesting question" this a good iead. As for others, I can't ask her or him to repeat their questions too many times. Xixi. So I will treasure such saying.

Hm, how can I say "Thank you" in "ask-answer" process? Maybe only at last I have this chance.

I won't comment my examiners as well as England.
    But sometimes I'm likely to be asked how can I feel my country. or what I think towards some policies. Sigh, I think I know more about "complaint words" due to "mysterious" reasons. And I can't have enough time to create my ieads. Right?

I will see these skills. That's fantanstic.

Thank you very very much

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that in the UK or in the USA they would be likely to ask political questions on exams, but I guess in China it is different. Possibly it would be best not to express your true feelings in such an event. :(

Shane would be better at giving you advice on such a thing. He might even know some of the questions they ask.

I wish all Chinese people could say whatever they want. You should not be afraid of different ideas. After all, if your ideas are the best they will stand up to any test.

:D

eric2004 Guest

all Chinese people could say whatever they want.

Xixi, Sir, that's gonna never happen in China.

I've almost known any questions they may ask.

But of course they may also ask me some related questions. So I merely associated with more topics in it.

I'm still not sure " LIke, I don't like my subject, " then, could I say " I think my textbook is only full of bullshit.?

I don't know whether I can say such words in oral test.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use such words in an oral test- by all means be colloquial, but avoid words that some consider to be rude. If you swear, then you are not showing appropriate oral skills- swearing is done in circles where it is accepted- with those you know. You don't know your tester well enough. While I have nothing against swearing, I would not give it credit for showing knowledge in a test.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast