Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Sentence ending with preposition

    I understand that the rule forbids ending a sentence with a preposition so how does one handle a sentence such as "I can't talk about an artist I've never heard of."?

  2. #2
    SweetMommaSue's Avatar
    SweetMommaSue is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: Sentence ending with preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by carol_0222
    I understand that the rule forbids ending a sentence with a preposition. So how does one handle a sentence such as: "I can't talk about an artist I've never heard of."
    Hello Carol_0222 ,
    Welcome to the forums .

    In this particular sentence:

    I can't talk about an artist of whom I've never heard.

    Hope this helps you.
    Sweet Momma Sue

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sentence ending with preposition

    This rule is hotly debated as many people disagree with it:
    From wehere do you come?
    Where do you come from?
    Which of these sounds more natural?
    Also, there is some misunderstanding of the term preposition. Technically, a preposition links word or phrases, so in 'They had a row, but have made up', the word 'up' is not a preposition, but an adverb or particle modifying the verb, so it's fine there. You can rewrite many sentences to avoid having a preposition at the end, butremember Winston Churchill's wise words on the issue:
    From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sentence ending with preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    This rule is hotly debated as many people disagree with it:
    From wehere do you come?
    Where do you come from?
    Which of these sounds more natural?
    Also, there is some misunderstanding of the term preposition. Technically, a preposition links word or phrases, so in 'They had a row, but have made up', the word 'up' is not a preposition, but an adverb or particle modifying the verb, so it's fine there. You can rewrite many sentences to avoid having a preposition at the end, butremember Winston Churchill's wise words on the issue:
    From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
    Thanks!

    And now that I have Winston Churchill on my side, who would dare argue with me now?!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sentence ending with preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMommaSue
    Hello Carol_0222 ,
    Welcome to the forums .

    In this particular sentence:

    I can't talk about an artist of whom I've never heard.

    Hope this helps you.
    Sweet Momma Sue
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

    Indeed, this particular sentence can be rewriten the way you did. My concern is that it sounds very formal, which is also frowned upon by the company that employs me... Oh, well!

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sentence ending with preposition

    Momma Sue's rewrite is formal but does avoid the preosition at the end, so if your company doesn't go for formality, then take Winston's approach and shove the prepositon at the end.

Similar Threads

  1. Are the 5 basic sentence patterns sacred?
    By infinikyte in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2009, 22:52
  2. Preposition ending a sentence
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2006, 13:08
  3. The position of a preposition in such a sentence
    By Flash in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2005, 13:23
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2004, 03:48
  5. ending a sentence
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Oct-2003, 02:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •