Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Have a chinese student who has absolutely no English whatsoever. What vocab should I begin with?

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

Good textbooks adjusted to the age of a student are always a safe bet. There are lots of materials for starters on the internet. To answer your question, the traditional topic to start with, as I remember it, was in most cases My family. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I [STRIKE]H[/STRIKE] have a [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE] Chinese student who has absolutely no English whatsoever. What vocab should I begin with?
If your student has absolutely no English, then his/her nationality does not really matter, although it's always written with a capital letter.

I normally began with the basics of getting to know each other's names, and acquiring some basic interaction language for two people working together.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
If your student has absolutely no English, then his/her nationality does not really matter, although it's always written with a capital letter.

It may do. There's a good chance that a beginner Chinese student won't know the alphabet, so that's one area that would need a lot more work than in other countries.

I'd be tempted to start with whatever happens to be in the room at the time. It will all be stuff that will come up again and again (book, pen, table, chair, pencil, etc) so it's as good a place as any to start. Combine that with a relevant grammar structure (It's a.../they are). Add to that some functional language that will be useful throughout the course (write, listen, speak, read, open your book, stand up, etc).

Other early topics would be colours (introducing adjectives) and family (introducing personal pronouns).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There's a good chance that a beginner Chinese student won't know the alphabet, so that's one area that would need a lot more work than in other countries.
I don't normally introduce reading or writing in the first few lessons with complete beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.