Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I love English because it gives me fun.

I am so sorry for dragging the question out, but I really would like to hear any opinions from native English speakers.

So my question is whether it is okay to see because it gives me fun modify either love or I love English and each meaning is the same to you or there is some difference between them? To me, whichever ways it modifies, meanings of them are the same. What do you feel about it? Thank you so much as usual.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't use because it gives me fun.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you, but my point was....

Okay, then...How about this?

The train left before I arrived.

"before I arrived"
modifies the whole sentence in front or just the verb or either way is okay and meaning is the same? What do you think?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The train left before I arrived.

"before I arrived"
modifies the whole sentence in front or just the verb or either way is okay and meaning is the same? What do you think?
The answer depends on how you choose to define 'modify' in the sense of what a clause 'does'.

The 'leaving' occcurred before the 'arriving', but the leaving happened only because there was 'the train', and the arriving happened only bcause there was the 'I'. So, to worry about whether one clause modifies another clause or merely a verb in that clause seems to be rather like worrying about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.