• Post Thanks / Like

a lapsed Catholic?

1.what does it mean by a lapsed Catholic? Does it mean he/she no longer belives in that religion?
    2.Also, I have questions about the word " appreciate", which has many meanings. for example, can I say like
    you should appreciate Korea and learn to speak korean language.Here can i understand appreciate as " you should recognize/ or admit the good qualities about korea? or what else?
    In addition, can i say like
    I went to the art gallery and appreciated the paintings( or music?) or I appreciated the beautiful night scenery.
    3.Finally, what does it mean by
    I really didn't like him, so i even turned down the rides to visit my parents.
    Again, I look forward to seeing your answers.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: a lapsed Catholic?

Quote Originally Posted by bosunyum
    1. What does it mean by a lapsed Catholic? Does it mean he/she no longer belives in that religion? Well, I would need more context to properly identify this expression, but let me give it a go, anyway:
    I would say that a lapsed Catholic is someone who was born and raised Catholic and has not been practicing the religion for a bit.
    2. Also, I have questions about the word "appreciate", which has many meanings. for example, can I say[COLOR=DarkOrchid],
    "You should appreciate Korea
    and should learn to speak the Korean language." Here am I to understand "appreciate" as "You should recognize or admit the good qualities about Korea?" When you use "should" it means that a person is supposed to do what the verb is saying to do. You tell a child that he should behave. That means he is supposed to behave. In your example, you are telling someone that he is supposed to appreciate Korea and ought to learn to speak the language. Yes, in this sense, "appreciate" means to acknowledge or recognize in a favorable way.

or what else? I'm sorry? What do you mean here?
    In addition, can I say,
    "I went to the art gallery and appreciated the paintings( or music?)" or "I appreciated the beautiful night scenery." Yes, you can say this.
    3. Finally, what does it mean by,
    "I really didn't like him; so I even turned down the rides to visit my parents." In this case, the dislike the person feels for the man is so strong that she(?) won't even accept a ride from him to go see her own parents. Apparently, he must be pretty awful.
    Again, I look forward to seeing your answers.
    Hello bosunyum,
    These are my shots at your questions. Hope they help you.
    Smiles,
    Sweet Momma Sue
    Last edited by SweetMommaSue; 06-Jan-2006 at 04:15.