Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
England
My sentence:
"I do not want anything to get lost." For example pieces of lego ;)

thanks!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My sentence:
"I do not want anything to get lost." For example pieces of lego ;)

thanks!

And the "general question" is?

Please try to give your threads meaningful titles. If "to get lost" (for instance) is giving you a headache here, I suggest you use that as the thread title.

charliedeut

Prple

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
England
Hey, I am sry about that. Next time, I will give my threads a meaningful title. Actually, I want to know if the sentence is right ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey, I am [STRIKE]sry[/STRIKE] sorry about that. Next time, I will give my threads a meaningful title. Actually, I want to know if the sentence is right. ;)

Please use full words ("sry" is not a word) and remember to end every sentence with a punctuation mark.

The sentence "I do not want anything to get lost" is fine. Whether it is the most natural way to say what you want to say would depend on the context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sentence structure errors are my own problems. :(

I'm not sure whether you mean "I have problems with sentence structure" or "Sentence structure errors are my problems, not your problems".

I hope you mean the first one. If that is the case, then we will be happy to help with your problems.

Even if you mean the second one, you will find that each time we see an error in your posts, we will correct it in red.

Prple

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
England
Hey, I will do my best to form proper sentences in the future. I totally agree with the attitude of the forum.

Let us pretend, some children are playing with lego and I am telling them: ""I do not want any piece to get lost".

Or I am calling the school office, for I have forgotten to take the children's clothes back home with me, so I am
telling the office person: "Can you have a look for me in the cloakroam please, I do not want anything to get lost".

Is it natural to say it like this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Until the username issue which keeps cropping up is sorted out, I'm going to leave the threads with certain usernames in.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Let us pretend, some children are playing with lego and I am telling them: ""I do not want any piece to get lost".

It's OK, but I would use something like I don't want you to lose any of the pieces/I want all the pieces back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prple

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
England
Thank you! And what about this one?
"Can you have a look for me in the cloakroam please, I do not want anything to get lost".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Can you have a look for me in the cloakro[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]om, please,; I do not want anything to get lost".
It's fine grammatically, but I can't think of a realistic situation in which I'd say those words.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It's fine grammatically, but I can't think of a realistic situation in which I'd say those words.

Happy to oblige. Here is what I could manage: If you are in charge of the staff at a party, you might want to say that to one of your subordinates because you cannot go check the cloakroom yourself and, needless to say, you don't want anything to get lost!

So there. There might be better scenarios, but that's what I could come up with.

charliedeut

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see what you're getting at but I can't quite imagine what this member of staff is going to check for in the cloakroom. When he/she walks into the cloakroom it won't be possible to tell of anything has already gone missing/been lost and, unless you expect him/her to stay in the cloakroom for the rest of the evening, it won't be possible to check that nothing gets lost before the end of the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.