• Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Translation, alteration, or transformation

Quote Originally Posted by azkad View Post
    Thank you Tdol for your comment.
    Is it correct if we change 'transform' to 'convert'?

The manuscript which was in Old English was later converted into modern English.

The reason we are avoiding 'translate' is that the book was not translated but rather was changed or altered from, say, one script (e.g.: old English to modern English, old Turkic to modern Turkic etc. Or is it still considered a translation in this case?) to another one.
    You keep asserting this, but I still don't understand. If you take Latin and turn it into English that's called 'translation'. Generally, taking one language and turning it into another is called 'translation'. Even if the two languages are Old English and modern English. Given an Old English text and a translation' I am hard put to it to recognize more than a few features. Take the first lines of Beowulf:

HwŠt! We Gardena in geardagum,
    ■eodcyninga, ■rym gefrunon,
    hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon.
    Oft Scyld Scefing scea■ena ■reatum,
    Modern translation:
    LO, praise of the prowess of people-kings
    of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
    we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!
    Oft Scyld the Scefing from squadroned foes, ...
    [text and translation from the McMaster University hypertext versions. (I have my doubts about the text, I think the 'we' in the first line should be 'ne'. Judge for yourself if you're feeling strong! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...firstpage.jpeg
    )]

Apart from 'oft' there are precious few similarities. And the ones there are are often false friends - the first word
    doesn't mean 'what', even though it looks like it (and it is the root of the modern word).

Generally, I'm not happy with Ems's 'Old English' example. If the texts you are talking about have just had the script changed, that is a transliteration. I don't know anything about old Turkic and modern Turkic, but they may be more closely related than modern English and OE (note: not just 'old' English: it's 'Old English', a different language.)
    Quote Originally Posted by azkad View Post
    On the basis of the above-mentioned suggestions, we can have this:

1) The manuscript which was in Old English was later updated to modern English.
    2) The manuscript which was in Old English was later translated into modern English.
    3) The manuscript which was in Old English was later transformed into modern English.
    4) The manuscript which was in Old English was later converted into modern English. Meaningful but unnatural;
    5) The manuscript which was in Old English was later changed into modern English.Meaningful but unnatura

As a non-native speaker of English, I am not able to arrive at a certain conclusion with this sentence. Thank you all!
    b

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Translation, alteration, or transformation

The standard term used for Old English to Modern English, or even Middle English, is translation. Neville Coghill's translation of Chaucer was highly acclaimed: Amazon.com: The Canterbury Tales (9780140424386): Geoffrey Chaucer, Nevill Coghill: Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12