• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Actions (recently) finished : present perfect simple or present perfect continuous

Hello everybody,

I have some issues with the present perfect continuous when it means : Actions recently finished, and without time phrase.
    I don't know which should I use : present perfect simple, present perfect continuous and even the past continuous at times!

Here are some examples :

First example
    - 'What have you been doing today?'
    - 'I've been reading a book'
    or
    - 'I've just been reading a book'

But... I don't see any difference (I'm French) and I wonder why they say : 'what have you been doing today' instead of 'what have you done' ...

And in a video, I saw :
    "I have been looking over your resume and I have to say I'm very impressed."

Context : That's for a job interview, the job applicant knock at the door and the head of personnel is waiting for her with the resume in her hand. And she say :
    'Oh come in, have a seat. I have been looking over your resume and I have to say I'm very impressed'.

I'm wondering whether I can use the present perfect and what's the difference between :

->I have been looking over your resume and I have to say I'm very impressed.

-> I have (just) looked over your resume and I have to say I'm very impressed.

What is the difference? Does it imply an idea (PPC) of duration? (PPS) Of completion? :s

Third example
    -Who have you talked to?

-Who have you been talking to?

-Who were you talking to?
    <-- I believe this one is more common in American English, because I saw it in Malcolm ;)

I'm totally lost with those ones... I can't imagine what the difference they have.

Fourth example
    -The ground is wet. It has been raining.

-The ground is wet. It has rained.

The former is more common than the latter, but I have already seen the latter... So... I odn't know :/

And finally :
    - Why have you been talking to him?

- Why have you talked to him?

- Why were you talking to him?

I'm sorry for this long post, but I think : the more examples there are, the better you can help me ^_^

I hope you'll can help me to see the difference

Thank you very much in advance,

Have good night / have a nice day.

Arobaz

raphey is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Actions (recently) finished : present perfect simple or present perfect continuou

***Not a teacher***

Wow, what a detailed/subtle set of questions! I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts on the examples you cited:

First example: Both sound good, though the recency of the book-reading is clearly different. And "what have you done today?" is a fine question, though given a certain intonation it could perhaps put people on the defensive. Not sure why- maybe it is the aspect of completion. So what have you accomplished, anyway? :)

Second example: just as you said, the simple past implies completion. Combined with "just" it implies recency and completion, which starts to sound like it wasn't a very careful examination. "Just finished looking over" takes away that problem. "Have been looking over" is also good, with an implied open-endedness.

Third example: "Who have you talked to?" seems to imply something developing or ongoing. So you have a terminal illness- who have you talked to (to get advice)? You saw something you weren't supposed to- who have you talked to? Who have you been talking to- this could mean the same things as above. But it could be a general question, implying regularity.

Fourth example: Not really sure, but the first sounds much more common.

Fifth example: I have no additional information apart from what is in example three, but I can say that the middle phrase, "why have you talked to him?", seems pretty uncommon.

I hope that is at least a little helpful.

Raphey
    If you are a non-native English speaker, please consider checking out my research survey, described elsewhere on the Using English forum.

Arobaz is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Actions (recently) finished : present perfect simple or present perfect continuou

Thank you for your answer :)

But there isn't teacher in here ? :/

Anyway, but I've got another sentence where I don't see any differences :

Has John told you about the party next week? - No, I haven’t seen him today.

Has John been telling you about the party next week? - No, we were talking about last weekend.

Thanks in advance ;)

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arobaz View Post
    Thank you for your answer :)

But there isn't teacher in here ? :/

Anyway, but I've got another sentence where I don't see any differences :

Has John told you about the party next week? - No, I haven’t seen him today.

Has John been telling you about the party next week? - No, we were talking about last weekend.

Thanks in advance ;)
    "Has John been telling you about the party next week? - No, we were talking about last weekend."
    This one is only possible if the questioner has just seen you talking to John.
    If you post your other questions one at a time, somebody will probably answer them.

Arobaz is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you =)

Okay sorry, I notice

Another one :

- Why have you been talking to him? : Maybe I see my friend crying after having a conversation with someone, and I ask him : why have you been talking to?

- Why have you talked to him? : I want to know the reasons about the conversation.

-
    Why were you talking to him?<- I believe this one is more common in American English but I'm not really sure.

Am I right? Your opinion / thoughts are welcome :)

Thanks in advance

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arobaz View Post
    Thank you =)

Okay sorry, I notice

Another one :

- Why have you been talking to him? : Maybe I see my friend crying after having a conversation with someone, and I ask him : why have you been talking to?

- Why have you talked to him? : I want to know the reasons about the conversation.Why did you talk to him?

-
    Why were you talking to him?<- I believe this one is more common in American English but I'm not really sure.

Am I right? Your opinion / thoughts are welcome :)

Thanks in advance
    Why were you talking to him?
    This is more natural in most contexts than, Why have you been talking to him?