Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
So im doing my TEFL course and have no problem with answering any of the questions or assignments, the problem is I have been given 2 questions in this section the second i answered but have not submitted yet as i cannot for the life of me come up with any idea for the answer. Here is the question:
Think of an activity/game that can be used in a one-to-one lesson and describe how you would use it.

The level is upper-intermediate, the topic of the lesson is Travelling.

Your student has fluency problems and she tends to be reluctant to speak, so think of an activity which would encourage her to do a lot of talking.

(Please write a minimum of 150 words)

I don't want an answer that i simply copy or paste, or a big paragraph about it. I am simply just looking for help with an idea itself of it. i was thinking maybe doing a role play between myself and the student but if i was to develop on that idea would it be acceptable do you think? I mean it says she has fluency problems and is reluctant to speak so would role play help in anyway? Any help is greatly appreciated:-D:-D
Thanks

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi and welcome casper :hi:,

If the student has fluency problems, maybe it would not be a good idea to pair her with you. That might make her even less reluctant to speak (she will compare your speaking abilities to hers; she'll find herself in inferiority and therefore she'll just say nothing).

Just my thoughts, though.

charliedeut

casper6427

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Hey i understand where you are coming from but this is a question in my course it is of course hypothetically speaking. In other words if I was teaching one on one this is the scenario you are facing what would you do to help her speak???

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What generally provokes speaking? A natural desire to have things right? It's a well-known trick to start saying nonsense, either as if seriously or with reasonable humour, to drag out certain vocabulary or structures. Regarding travelling, it might be some silly beliefs, wrong stereotypes or whatever. It could be a role play but then her task should imlpy considerably more activity than that of the teacher, like she' ll have to persuade him to do smth. Does it help?

casper6427

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Yes thanks this will help wonders i understand now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.