[Grammar] A structure of near future plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdragon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Code:
[I]We're going to be leaving university next week – it will be the end of an era.[/I]
I, by chance, saw the sentence from bbclearningenglish.com; however, the above structure sounds quite strange to me, who is the freshman of a uni. i wonder why did the writer not use "We're going to leave university next week – it will be the end of an era."
Thank you for your help.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's just another way of expressing future tense. They are both correct. You could also express the future in these ways (sorry, I know it's confusing):

"We'll be leaving university next week..."
"We're leaving university next week..."
"We leave university next week..."

blackdragon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you! BTW, would you please tell me the distinction among "be about to", "be going to". for example, we are about to leave school next week, or we are leaving school next week, or we are going to leave school next week, we are going to be leaving school next week. all is correct and of same meanings. thank you again.
It's just another way of expressing future tense. They are both correct. You could also say "We'll be leaving university next week..." or even "We leave university next week..."

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you! BTW, would you please tell me the distinction among "be about to", "be going to".

They are very similar, but "about to" suggests that the action is going to occur momentarily (there are some examples where this is not the case, but for the most part that is the idea). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.