Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

wynes Guest

Red face Hello!

This the first time to post a message in a furom, so please be patience to my English.
    I am exciting and enthuastic to learn more about English language, especially it is my second language. I have learned a few basic grammar rules since started to studied English two years ago. I can write simple sentences and also some paragraphs. I am still studying English at a community college in our city taking adult basic Program. Then, I would like to go college or university for higher education.

I have this big problem with my hand writing. I continously change mt penmanship because I thought it is not good enough. The cause is I think it is slowing me down because I can not settle a permanent hand writing! In worst case, sometimes I losing my confidence to write anything! I was keep looking a solution to this problem and I read a book that says about a "calligraphy" course to improve your hand writing skill and coordination.
    I am wondering if anybody knows about this calligraphy course or any tools than can help me to solve this struggle. Thank you

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello!

Is your handwriting really that bad? Mine is pretty terible, but it's never really been a problem- I've never suffered in an exam for it. Nowadays, I just word process everything.

SweetMommaSue is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Hello!

The only way to improve handwriting is to practice, practice, practice! Same as with anything! My handwriting is pretty good, when I need it to be. My typing is terrible! I have "dyslexia of the fingers" (a joke) making me have to re-type much of what I say. The only way to fix this is to practice.

There are many different styles of penmanship. The 2 major categories are cursive and manuscript. Cursive is the flowing, connected handwriting one sees in most handwritten letters and notes among friends. Manuscript are the separate, individually formed letters that you see printed here in the forum and in most books. Which type of handwriting are you having trouble with?

Another consideration: in your native language, do you write with our alphabet? Do you write and read from right to left? I know that when I was first learning to write Farsi I had a very difficult time training my hand to write in the opposite direction. It took me forever to form the letters. I was very slow! Not to mention that the alphabet is completely different, too! So, I had two obstacles to overcome. Once I continued to practice (everyday I drilled myself for at least an hour, sometimes four), I saw a huge improvement in my ability to form the new alphabet. It's been over 20 yrs. since I've written in Farsi, but I'm sure I would have to practice a lot in order to regain that skill.

Now, as far as calligraphy goes, I have heard that some people prefer learning that to regular printing. There are many different styles of printing out there. Some are easier to form than others. There are also styles of printing, like D'Nealian, that are an intermediate type of penmanship, separate letters, but some are formed more like the cursive counterparts (like the letter 'k') in order to make the change to cursive easier.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you. Be encouraged! Don't give up!

Smiles,
    Sweet Momma Sue

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Is your handwriting really that bad? Mine is pretty terible, but it's never really been a problem- I've never suffered in an exam for it. Nowadays, I just word process everything.
    I don't agree with you tdol - terrible handwriting may cause troubles! I am a university teacher and so often have I big problems with understanding what did mu students handwrite on their exams. Moreover, my friend, with whom I studied, had to handwrite using capital letters; otherwise his exam was so illegible that he had to write the exam again!

Best

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean that terrible handwriting is not a problem, but the original poster talks about changing their style of writing- with truly terrible writing, people are usually unable to change their style. Therefore, i wonder how bad their writing is.

wmodesto is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Hello!

I really appreciate your advice and encouragement. I think you're right, I just need more practice and push my self harder to improve my writing skills. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Struggles Penmanship

Thanks guys. Like any other skills, today in high tech world. Internet can over pretty much everything- multi media speaking, reading, tutoring, etc.

Would you happen to know if there's any online resources or tutoring to improving accuracy and style in penmanship?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Struggles Penmanship

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Hello!

Good link though, Tydol but don't see any information about 'penmaship' or some sort of handwriting skills.

Thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wynes View Post
    This the first time to post a message in a furom, so please be patience to my English.
    I am exciting and enthuastic to learn more about English language, especially it is my second language. I have learned a few basic grammar rules since started to studied English two years ago. I can write simple sentences and also some paragraphs. I am still studying English at a community college in our city taking adult basic Program. Then, I would like to go college or university for higher education.

I have this big problem with my hand writing. I continously change mt penmanship because I thought it is not good enough. The cause is I think it is slowing me down because I can not settle a permanent hand writing! In worst case, sometimes I losing my confidence to write anything! I was keep looking a solution to this problem and I read a book that says about a "calligraphy" course to improve your hand writing skill and coordination.
    I am wondering if anybody knows about this calligraphy course or any tools than can help me to solve this struggle. Thank you
    Good handwriting is all down to the muscular control in using your hand and pen. Go back to basics - do lines of loops, circles, slashes. Practice by writing words and phrases over and over. Doodle if you have nothing to write - draw little pictures. Like so many skills, you need to train the muscles to do a job.

Also, you need to consider how you are holding the writing implement. It should be held by thumb and first finger, and resting on the middle finger. It must not be held too low down - about 1.5 cms up from the point is ok. If you watch an artist drawing, they will hold it even further back than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast