Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
Is the usage of the combination 'plain right' in a sentence correct? For example, "She is plain right stupid, period!".:?::-? Help please!

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I've never heard that combination. In the case of your example sentence, I would use either one or the other, but never both.
"She's right stupid, period."
"She's plain stupid, period."

Agnes

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
Thanks a lot SlickVic9000! I thought it sounded wrong too and guessed they meant to say " She is plain and outright stupid, period". But that would change the meaning in the sentence I guess.:-?

(Not a Teacher)

I've never heard that combination. In the case of your example sentence, I would use either one or the other, but never both.
"She's right stupid, period."
"She's plain stupid, period."

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks a lot SlickVic9000! I thought it sounded wrong too and guessed they meant to say " She is plain and outright stupid, period". But that would change the meaning in the sentence I guess.:-?

NOT A TEACHER

I agree with your assessment. In 'She's plain stupid,' "plain" is used to emphasise "stupid", but in the sentence in your quote, "plain" means something else.

I have never heard the combination (plain right stupid) either, but I have found it used on the Internet (which doesn't mean that it's acceptable, by the way). People seem to use this combination for a double emphasis. If something is "plain right stupid", it's even more stupid than something that is just "right stupid".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.