Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"They've been living in the Township of Muskoka Lakes for 2 years before he's been promoted and moved to Toronto." If I put it like this, would it be grammatically OK and not sound awkward?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"They've been living in the Township of Muskoka Lakes for 2 years before he's been promoted and moved to Toronto." If I put it like this, would it be grammatically OK and not sound awkward?

It sounds very unnatural and I will say it's incorrect.

They had been living in [place] for two years before he was promoted and they moved to Toronto.

"They have been living" means they are still living there now.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The reason I asked you is that I came across this sentence and wanted to know if I could put my sentence in the same way.
"The game is bigger than Buddy Ryan. It has been going on long before he 's been in the league, and it'll go on long after he's gone. " COCAE says the source is "Huston Chronicle". Would it mean that the article hadn't been properly proofread before it was published?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The reason I asked you is that I came across this sentence and wanted to know if I could put my sentence in the same way.
"The game is bigger than Buddy Ryan. It has been going on long before he 's been in the league, and it'll go on long after he's gone. " COCAE says the source is "Huston Cronicle". Would it mean that the article hadn't been properly proofread before it was published?

Is it a quote, something somebody said?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"any of us. He doesn't play. He stands on the sideline with his arms crossed. I wish he had played. It would be like playing against 10. # " " I told you before, if I put me against him at the 50, I know who would have won. I have deep-seeded feelings against anybody who criticizes another man's team. I don't like it when another man takes a potshot at our organization, our players and coaches. The game is bigger than Buddy Ryan. It has been going on long before he 's been in the league, and it'll go on long after he's gone. " # After the game, Ryan insulted the Rams again when he said he had never lost to a team that looked like it was trying to die. # When he was asked about Vitt, Ryan said, " " Wasn't he a gofer in Buffalo? I think he used to go and fetch coffee. I guess he really has come up in the world. " # Master at work"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"[STRIKE]any of us.[/STRIKE] He doesn't play. He stands on the sideline with his arms crossed. I wish he had played. It would be like playing against 10."

"I told you before, if they had put me against him at the 50, I know who would have won. I have deep-seated feelings against anybody who criticizes another man's team. I don't like it when another man takes a potshot at our organization, our players and coaches. The game is bigger than Buddy Ryan. It [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] was going on long before [STRIKE]he 's been in[/STRIKE] he joined the league, and it'll go on long after he's gone."

After the game, Ryan insulted the Rams again when he said he had never lost to a team that looked like it was trying to die. When he was asked about Vitt, Ryan said, "Wasn't he a gofer in Buffalo? I think he used to go and fetch coffee. I guess he really has come up in the world." [STRIKE]# Master at work[/STRIKE]"

As usual with direct quotes, you can see evidence that when people speak out loud, especially if it's not a pre-prepared speech, they rarely stick to the rules of grammar! I have changed certain parts in red so you can see how it would have looked if the person had chosen to speak grammatically. I'm not sure why there were several examples of # in the piece but I've taken them out as they were confusing me!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Ems, it's just a COCA thing. The hashes mark the places in which new paragraphs begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.