This is/was the first time I've driven a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Jack is driving a car, but he's very nervous and not sure what to do.
You ask: Have you driven a car before?
He says: No, this is the first time I've driven a car.

Soruce: English Grammar in Use, p.17.

Let's say that the driving lesson has come to an end. Jack steps out of the car. What should he tell his driving instructor:

This is the first time I've driven a car.

or

This was the first time I've driven a car.

or do both work? The book suggests that we use the first for actions that are still in progress, but I cannot figure out if it works for completed actions. Usually we can use the present perfect for completed actions, as this example from English Grammar in Use suggests: Her bedroom was green. Now it is yellow. She has painted her bedroom. But I'm not sure if it works in conjunction with "the first time".

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For a start, if the lesson is over, I would start with "That" not "This".

As you get in the car at the beginning of the lesson: This is the first time I've ever driven.
At the end of the lesson: That was the first time I had ever driven.

In the piece you posted at the beginning, it said "Jack is driving the car". If that is the case and he is speaking while he is driving, then "This is the first time I have driven" is fine. That would be correct right up until the end of the lesson. After that, it was the first time he had ever driven.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you very much, emsr2d2.

I did a little bit more research about this topic after reading your message (which I should have done before posting my question :oops:). I have found your version in Practical English Usage, 'It was the first time that I had heard her sing.'

However, I have also found a different sentence, written by a speaker of AmE, 'That was the first time I ever drove a car.' Could it be that this one is acceptable in AmE?
And another one, written by a speaker from Northern Ireland, 'That was the first time I have driven a car.'

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Could it be that in other varieties of English, other structures are acceptable as well?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, emsr2d2.

I did a little bit more research about this topic after reading your message (which I should have done before posting my question :oops:). I have found your version in Practical English Usage, 'It was the first time that I had heard her sing.'

However, I have also found a different sentence, written by a speaker of AmE, 'That was the first time I ever drove a car.' Could it be that this one is acceptable in AmE?
And another one, written by a speaker from Northern Ireland, 'That was the first time I have driven a car.'

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Could it be that in other varieties of English, other structures are acceptable as well?

Thank you in advance.

You will find quite a few threads on the forum where we have discussed the fact that in AmE, it's acceptable to use the past simple with "ever".

This is the first time I have ever eaten squid. (BrE)
This is the first time I ever ate squid. (AmE)

That was the first time I had ever eaten squid. (BrE)
That was the first time I ever ate squid. - Actually, I now realise that I'm not sure if that is the AmE equivalent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Actually, I now realise that I'm not sure if that is the AmE equivalent!

I could hear it in BrE without thinking of it as an import now.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
How about saying "I had never driven a car before"?

Status
Not open for further replies.