Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The Story of my life)

Now I met a section containing two words that I cannot decode in their place. It reads:

”If they got N. Pimps in the outer space, he’s the best of them too. He’s gonna take them whores into the ’Roost’ and ’pop’ some. He’s lugging twenty ’G’s’ in his ’raise’ Ain’t no heist man crazy enough to stick him up though.”

(quotation marks as in original)

Background:

Slim as a newcomer in Chicago and a local man are watching Sweet Jones (the black pimp king in the city) entering a bar (the Roost). The local man tells some words about Sweet Jones to Slim, emphasizing how big is the pimp king and how much money he brings with him.

So, what do the words ’pop’ and ’raise’ mean in the quoted section?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Iceberg Slim was born in 1918, grew up to be a pimp in Chicago, and gave up pimping in 1960. Therefore the slang in his autobiographical first novel must be patterned on the slang of the Chicago underworld circa 1940.

A raise must be a portable container large enough to contain $20,000, presumably a satchel or briefcase. I have never heard raise used that way and I am sure the usage is obsolete even in Chicago,

In current American slang, to pop is to hit or to shoot. Hit is very likely the meaning in your example. The fact that he plans to pop "some", i.e. more than one or two, makes this very likely to my mind, as opposed to speculative indecent alternatives.

Last edited:

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thank you for your answer! 'Raise' is clear now.

But I am afraid I am still unable to interpret the 'pop' sentence.

If 'hit' is the most plausible meaning here it is still a question for me what the author want to say. Is it that Sweet Jones brings his girls into the Roost and beats (hits/pops) some if some of them would behave unproperly?

Or is it rather that the pimp king takes his girls into the Roost and gets (hits/pops) some more in there sometimes?

An other possible interpretation could be that Sweet brings his girls into the Roost and uses (hits/pops) some of them sexually if he is in the mood.

Do You find any interpretation more probable than the others?

(I am sorry if I did misunderstand something in your post. I am not a native English speaker)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think pop simply means he hits them to discipline them and control their behaviour.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One alternative definition of "pop" in this context could be "to have sex with a girl for her first time - take away her virginity". There is a slang phrase for this - "pop her cherry". It seems a little unlikely admittedly, in that it says he going to take these "wh*res" to the roost and pop some of them. If they are already being referred to by that term (wh*res), then it seems reasonable to assume that they are not virgins.

Status
Not open for further replies.