Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you hear this kind of question, do you answer like "I think ~" or ""He likes~"?
I'm asking this question as "do you think" seems an inserted part that makes less importance than "what".

ex)What do you think he likes?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"I think he would/may/might like..." or "I think he likes..."

"What do you think he likes" is the question you would ask if you are not sure that person knows "his" tastes, which seems to also be your case.

"What does he like?" implies that the listener knows for sure (or at least that's what you think/expect).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you know why "Do you think what he likes?" is forbidden or doesn't make sense?
I've always thought if you ask like that, you would answer "Yes(No) I think ****", which is not a wanted answer.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you know why "Do you think what he likes?" is forbidden or doesn't make sense?
I've always thought if you ask like that, you would answer "Yes(No) I think ****", which is not a wanted answer.

Keannu, it would be helpful if you used words instead of the asterisks. (Just an example of what words you think could be there.)

"Do you think what he likes?" is not something you would say often. It doesn't mean the same as "What do you think he likes?" Do you see the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.