Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the most frequent phrasal verbs?

I'm trying to learn phrasal verbs but the 1300 ones which are listed on this site are many to deal with.

Is there a subset of about one hundred most frequent phrasal verbs I can start to learn?
    I mean a subset that I ought to focus on because containing more frequent or important ones.....

Thank you very much

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are the most frequent phrasal verbs?

It's not easy to say. The most common ones are probably ones relating to everyday activities, like getting up, visiting people, telephoning, etc. however, there are many that are less frequent but very useful, like 'give up', though we don't stop smoking everyday. Try searching the list by keyword and see which verbs it gives you- search for words like visit, etc. It also depends on what you are looking for- if you are aiming for an exam, then I would recomend concentrating on the more common base verbs like take/set/put, etc, which are the ones that usually get tested. For example, Cambridge regularly test 'put someone up' and 'come round' (from anaesthetic), even though they're not so frequent. Frequency is hard to determine because it depends on the individual's usage in most cases- I boot up my computer every day- is 'boot up', therefore, a key phrasal verb?