Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I learned "enter into" is for abstract things like "negotiation" or "meeting", while "enter" is for physical things like "buildings". Is it correct?

mo2-44
ex)The Walt Disney Compnay is trying to enter into a new and undeveloped market - newborns.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
According to Michael Swan,
enter into an argument, a discussion etc.( we've just entered into an argument with Carsons Ltd.)
enter a place (no preposition). (when I entered the room everybody stopped talking)
Good luck!

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"the market" is a tangible thing to be without "into", then why does it have "into"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe they're thinking of the arrangements that need to be made, etc, but I don't think the preposition is necessary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A market where you go to shop is an actual physical thing which you would simply enter. You enter a building which houses a lot of different market stalls. The area/building is called a market.

When you are talking about "a new and undeveloped market", you are talking about a group of potential buyers or investors (in this case, the parents of newborn babies), then it is not a physical market so you would enter into that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.