Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi there!
I'm opening this new thread because I'm a little bit confused and perplexed about the use of these two phrasal verbs: to fall off and to fall out of, specifically in sentences like these:
1) Did he fall out (Is OFF also possible without changing the meaning?) or was he pushed?
2) Did he fall off/out of the bike or was he pushed?
3) Today I've found a baby bird that had fallen off his nest/fallen out of his nest (Do they mean the same?)
4) I was fixing a bulb up and while I was on the ladder I accidentely fell off it/ fell out of it. (WHich one? Both possible?)

How to decide which one is correct between the two?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi there!
I'm opening this new thread because I'm a little bit confused and perplexed about the use of these two phrasal verbs: to fall off and to fall out of, specifically in sentences like these:
1) Did he fall out (Is OFF also possible without changing the meaning?) or was he pushed?
2) Did he fall off/out of the bike or was he pushed?
3) Today I've found a baby bird that had fallen off his nest/fallen out of his nest (Do they mean the same?)
4) I was fixing a bulb up and while I was on the ladder I accidentely fell off it/ fell out of it. (WHich one? Both possible?)

How do you decide which one is correct between the two?
You can't fall out of something that you are not in. You're not in a bike, therefore you can't fall out of a bike.
You fall off things that you are on. If you on a wall, you can fall off it.
You don't fall off a nest. Birds are in, not on, a nest.
Are you in the ladder?

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you very much :) so, summing it up, I fall off a ladder or any other object I'm on it and I fall out of a place if I'm into that place.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you very much :) so, summing it up, I fall off a ladder or any other object I'm on it and I fall out of a place if I'm in that place.
Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whether someone falls out of or falls off something, you can ask "Did he fall or was he pushed?"

Status
Not open for further replies.