Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Australia
Hey everyone,
I'm doing my law degree in Australia. I'm graduating in 2016 (If everything goes right)
I want to speak English smoothly and fluently (without hesitating and feeling stressed when I speak) before I graduate
I'm not an English native speaker but I'm passionate about language especially in English.

I guess I'm at intermediate level in terms of speaking. I know the correct pronunciation for most words and the correct intonation. But I just can't speak smooth like natives. (maybe I need some practice for my tongue and muscles of the mouth?)

Main question:
I just want to ask if it's possible for me to speak and sound at a native or near-native level in 4-5 years before I graduate?
Am I supposed to immerse myself in an English environment? I do immerse myself by avoiding meeting friends who speak my mother language, read books and listen to English music every day. But I don't get many chances to speak with native speakers 'cause it's quite hard to get into their social groups given the fact that I don't speak as good as they do.
Is it extremely difficult for a normal person, who started learning a language in their adulthood, to speak and use the language well and nicely?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Welcome to UsingEnglish.

I guess I'm at intermediate level in terms of speaking. I know the correct pronunciation for most words and the correct intonation. But I just can't speak smooth like natives. (maybe I need some practice for my tongue and muscles of the mouth?)

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Perhaps you could post an unscripted recording of your speech?

I just want to ask if it's possible for me to speak and sound at a native or near-native level in 4-5 years before I graduate?

It's not out of the question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Main question:

It's possible to do this- studying law requires a high standard of language, so your studies will force you to think a lot about language. What you're doing to imerse yourself is right. You will find opportunities to meet more native speakers over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.