Thread: Outlining

pljames Guest

Default Outlining

I am trying to be more proficient in my letter writing that I have a new way to outline (the [B]word in these brackets being my general point). I cannot follow or understand outlinging in the first place. So I am now using the (brackets) as making my point.

Then in each other paragraphs I will use the (synonyms of the point words to further make my point). Point one, two, three and so forth. Does anyone think this will work. Even tho these words are used horizontally in a sentence and vertical in a paragraph could it be possible to construct a new style of outlining that will be understood by the reader?

Just a thought.
    pljames

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outlining

The first thing to think is whether your reader will be able to follow your system, and the second is whether they will appreciate it. Synonyms in brackets are fine, but too many will soon start to get in the way of the reading- most formatting should, as a general rule, be used sparingly. If you have too many brackets, then it might break up the flow of reading. It also assumes that the reader needs all this help, which they might not like- you know those pages on the web with lots of red and bold and words written in capital letters- don;'t they annoy you? That's the extreme, so try things, but in letter writing, I'd go for moderation. Use synonyms where necessary, but not too much.

pljames Guest

Talking Re: Outlining

In my quest to be understood I have now decide to list my point and points in the title bar. First the reason and title of the letter then the points list. Any thoughts?
    pljames

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outlining

Sounds fine to me, but I'd reduce the font size.