Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I feel lost with the prepositions here. When something falls on one's head, can I say "it smashed him in the head" or it is better to say "it smashed his head"? I've chosen the word "smash" because it sounds powerful enough to create a sarcastical effect in my context.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I feel lost with the prepositions here. When something falls on one's head, can I say "it smashed him in the head" or it is better to say "it smashed his head"? I've chosen the word "smash" because it sounds powerful enough to create a sarcastical effect in my context.

Maybe if you provided us with that context, we'd be able to help you better. IMO, as it stands, "smash" is not adequate unless it actaully cracked his head open. Maybe "it crashed on his head" would be a better choice. This, however, will depend on hte context.

charliedeut

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks a lot! I believe "crashed on" is that very thing I wanted!

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks a lot! I believe "crashed on" is that very thing I wanted!

I'm glad. It was sheer luck, though. It's a pity I didn't go buy a lottery ticket instead! ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As has already been pointed out, context is important. There are several variations I can think of but they really would depend on what was involved! As you will see, different prepositions are involved each time.

A tree was struck by lightning and crashed down on the man, smashing his head. (The tree crashed, but the effect on the man was that it severely damaged his head.)

There was a huge fight outside the pub between a 22-year-old and a 45-year-old man. The older man is now in hospital after the 22-year-old smashed his head in. (Note "to smash someone's head in" is definitely an informal phrase, probably only used in BrE.)

The burglar used a baseball bat to smash the homeowner around the head and face.

The tree fell on his head.

The tree crashed (down) on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.