Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Afghanistan
Greetings,
About three years ago I've started to use English, mostly watching movies & chatting. Recently I've realized that I have not spoke with anyone yet. Anyway, I've got a guitar with me, and I make recordings frequently, so here's the result: vocaroo. com/i/s0EUfxty3oKv
1) Am i understandable?
2) Guess my accent?
Oh and sorry for song, I guess many won't like it, it's random improvisation so it lacks a lot of sense (and text structure too), and my voice is one of creepy kind too.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
About three years ago I've started to use English, mostly watching movies & chatting. Recently I've realized that I have not spoke with anyone yet.

:-? And yet your profile says that American English is your native language.

On this forum, you are required to show your true native language, home country and location. An accurate assessment of your speech can still be made even if we know where you're from.

1) Am I understandable?
2) Guess my accent?

I cannot make an assessment based on this recording. Please provide a clear recording of your speech without any kind of background music.

Last edited:

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
If you are a singer, you know that you have to tune vowel formants in order to scale up/down vowels smoothly. People use different terms to refer this process: smoothing through the passagio; smoothing out register breaks. In phonetic terms, harmonics (of phonated tone) have to match formants of the vocal tract; otherwise, the transition is not smooth on the scale. In other words, the vowel quality changes from the low pitch to high pitch. They call it vowel/formant tuning. Given this, listeners care more about the smoothness of transitions, than aboiut he exact vowel quality.

Second, the intonation (cadence like 1-4-5)) of a song is different from speech. So, it is a futile exercise when it comes to accent detection.

Just record yourself while you are talking to a friend. And upload it, so that people can tell what accent you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.