Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am just looking for the layman definition....i started thinking about this word, and now i have confused myself.
I know it sounds dumb, but it is really bothering me now.

Basically, a question is interrogative sentence or the inquiry being expressed by the sentence, i get that...no problems

But isn't the answer basically the information wanted or requested by the question. I mean i alwasy thought the answer was the solution. But when i read the defintions, they make it sound as if it is the physical written words or spoken words that are the asnwer.......isn't the defintion of "ANSWER" mean the solution or information expressed by spoken words or a written sentence in response to a question?

OR can it be both?

Just stuck, please help.
Thanks

Kevin

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're over thinking this. Yes, an "answer" is the information being requested. But it's also the sentences which convey this information.

If a newspaper prints a "Q and A" article, the answers are the parts written after the "A."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am just looking for the layman definition ... I started thinking about this word, and now I have confused myself.
I know it sounds dumb, but it is really bothering me now.

Basically, a question is an interrogative sentence or the inquiry being expressed by the sentence, I get that. [STRIKE]...no problems[/STRIKE]

But isn't the answer basically the information wanted or requested by the question? I mean I always thought the answer was the solution. But when I read the defintions, they make it sound as if it is the physical written words or spoken words that are the answer. Isn't the defintion of "ANSWER" [STRIKE]mean [/STRIKE]the solution or information expressed by spoken words or a written sentence in response to a question?

OR can it be both?

Just stuck, please help.
Thanks

Kevin

First, please remember to always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).

The short answer (!) to your question is that it can be both.

Question: 2+2
Answer: 4

The mathematical answer to the question is "4". However, whatever I write where it says "4" is also my answer. If I had written "5" instead of "4", then my answer to the question would have been wrong, but it would still have been my answer.

If an answer were only a solution or a factual piece of information, you would not be able to ask people for their opinion and consider their response to be an answer.

Question: What did you think of the film?
Answer: I thought it was great.

Ask another person the same question:

Question: What did you think of the film?
Answer: I thought it was terrible.

There is no right or wrong answer to that question but both the people have given an answer.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Politicians are very famous (or infamous) for giving "answers" that bear no connection to the question being asked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Politicians are very famous (or infamous) for giving "answers" that bear no connection to the question being asked.

Ah yes, the great non-answer answer.

alkaspeltzar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, I am sorry for not having the grammar correct. I know better. I was just in a rush I guess to get the question asked.
But could someone please confirm then what I am thinking is correct, that an answer is both.

An 'Answer' could be:
1. The sentence, whether written or spoken that one replies to a question.
For example:Question: What did you think of the film? Answer: I thought it was great.

2. An answer is the solution or information requested by the interrogative sentence
For example: If I asked how do I fix the car, then the solution/answer would be to change the spark plugs.
(Here it is not the physical statement, but the process or information detailing how to correct it that we consider the answer)

So I was over thinking, the definition means both. The context of the conversation lets you know which one they are referring too.

Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, and often 2 is provided in 1, and 1 provides 2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But could someone please confirm then what I am thinking is correct, that an answer is both.

Please take a look at my first answer, in post #3. The second line clearly says: The short answer to your question is that it can be both.

alkaspeltzar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks everyone, I did not see all the comments the first time, I did now.

Thanks for the added piece of mind, after reading too many dictionaries, I was more confused than anything.
Next time I will trust my gut and ask you before I over-think the word.

Thanks again for all the support.

Kevin

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you mean "peace of mind" (not "piece").

alkaspeltzar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Emsr2d2,

So after reading ur post, you make it sound as if not only the answer could be the information, or the sentence, but any opinion, thought, or response given to close a question. Basically, as one dictionary said 'any thing said towards answering a question'

Is this what u meant? How do u specifically define it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Emsr2d2,

So after reading [STRIKE]ur[/STRIKE] your post, you make it sound as if [STRIKE]not only[/STRIKE] the answer could not only be the information, or the sentence, but any opinion, thought, or response given to close a question. Basically, as one dictionary said 'any thing said towards answering a question'.

Is this what you meant? How do you specifically define it?

I don't "specifically define it". I think I made it pretty clear in my first post. I said that it could be both. Any response to a question, in my opinion, is an answer. Whether it is the correct answer or not is a different matter. Sometimes there is no correct answer.

Please make sure you use full English words on this forum - don't use "ur" and "u".

alkaspeltzar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, that is what I thought you meant. Thank you for the clarification

I know this is an English forum, but please forgive my ignorance in typing. I am not an english major, I am just trying to understand to do better in the classes I am taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.