Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
There's an example:
He (kill) his victim easily, (remove) his wallet, (wipe) away all fingerprints and just (make) for the front door to make his escape when he (hear) a key turning in the lock. Someone (come) in! What he (do) if he (be) seen?
And I know that it should be: killed, removed, wiped, made, heard, was coming. But the answer in the last sentence is 'would do' and 'were seen'. I don't understand why I can't use 3rd conditional - 'would have done', 'had been seen'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
There's an example:
He (kill) his victim easily, (remove) his wallet, (wipe) away all fingerprints and just (make) for the front door to make his escape when he (hear) a key turning in the lock. Someone (come) in! What he (do) if he (be) seen?
And I know that it should be: killed, removed, wiped, made, heard, was coming. But the answer in the last sentence is 'would do' and 'were seen'. I don't understand why I can't use 3rd conditional - 'would have done', 'had been seen'.

Because the past perfect would not be in accordance with the tense of the previous sentence. It should be "had just made for the front door" though.

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the moment the man is thinking in 1st conditional "What will I do if I'm seen?" so, because the story is told in the past tense you have change that into the past tense and use the 2nd conditional.

You only use the 3rd conditional when talking about hypothetical options which you DIDN'T take.

Status
Not open for further replies.