Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
Hi,
My question is if there is a comma in the following sentence sample. I would greatly appreciate it if you refer me to a specific rule in an online punctuation guide, so that I can understand the punctuation logic better.

The sentence:
They may entertain their families and friends as well as a couple of unfamiliar people.

My question:
Should there be a comma before 'as well as'.

If you had an even simpler sentence, such as "I bought apples and pears as well as oranges," would you use a comma in this list?

Thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
My question is if there is a comma in the following sentence sample. I would greatly appreciate it if you refer me to a specific rule in an online punctuation guide, so that I can understand the punctuation logic better.

The sentence:
They may entertain their families and friends as well as a couple of unfamiliar people.

My question:
Should there be a comma before 'as well as'. I would use one, some wouldn't.

If you had an even simpler sentence, such as "I bought apples and pears as well as oranges," would you use a comma in this list? It depends on the context.

Thank you!
Bhai.

SilviaLM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
Thanks, bhaisahab.

If anyone can refer me to an online grammar and punctuation guide which explains the option to use a comma in this case, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given that bhaisahab's answer shows that there is no "rule" - some people would use a comma and some wouldn't, and context is important - you're not going to find it in a guide book.

Is there a reason that you need an online punctuation and grammar guide to advise you, if you are receiving the answers you need on this forum?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would greatly appreciate it if you refer me to a specific rule in an online punctuation guide

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I do not know how to link. I apologize.

Please go to Google. Then type in these words:

As well as Comma Grammar Rules

That website should be the second result on the page. It is an excellent one-page summary of the rules. Thanks for asking

this question. I learned a lot.

James

P.S. IF (!) I understood those rules in that one-page article, neither of your sentences needs a comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.