[Grammar] Could you help me with these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taotekno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello all. I need help about identifying parts of speech. I did some of them but im not sure. Also, some of them may not be correct, so that, im asking to you to be sure. Thank you.
Here is the sentences.
1) Will you book us a court for 3 p.m?
2)I need to look for my match book.
3)The hungry cat scratched at the book door.
4)He sat by the window and watched the rain.
5)Oops! I did it again.
6)The announcer said that the bus for Minneapolis would leave in thirty minutes.
7)Bob drove through the desert at night and slept in the daytime.

Thank you again and sorry for my terrible English. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all. I need help about identifying parts of speech. I did some of them but I'm not sure. Also, some of them may not be correct, so [STRIKE]that,[/STRIKE] I'm asking to you to be sure. Thank you.
Here [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are the sentences.

1) Will you book us a court for 3 p.m?
2)I need to look for my match book.
3)The hungry cat scratched at the book door.
4)He sat by the window and watched the rain.
5)Oops! I did it again.
6)The announcer said that the bus for Minneapolis would leave in thirty minutes.
7)Bob drove through the desert at night and slept in the daytime.

Thank you again and sorry for my terrible English. :)

You said that you have done some of them but you're not sure. We don't just give you answers on this forum. Tell us your answers and then we will look at them.

taotekno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You said that you have done some of them but you're not sure. We don't just give you answers on this forum. Tell us your answers and then we will look at them.
1) Will you(helping) book(verb) us(object pronoun) a(adjective) court(noun) for(preposition) 3 p.m?
2) I
(subject) need to look for my math(possesive adjectives) book.(noun)

These are examples but not finished. I can't complete them correctly. Will you show me others like these?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. I believe that many learners (and native speakers, too!) get confused between "parts of speech" and "parts of a

sentence."

a. The traditional 8 parts of speech are: verb, noun, adjective, adverb, conjunction, preposition, pronoun, interjection.

(Words such as "subject" and "object" are not parts of speech. They are parts of the sentence.)

Your first sentence is a question. Many teachers tell us to put the words in regular order in order to analyze it.

i. So (only for the sake of analysis), your sentence is:

"You will book us a court for 3 p.m."

ii. In my humble opinion, the parts of speech are:

You = pronoun.
will = (auxiliary/ helping) verb.
book = main verb / base form of verb/ infinitive form of verb.
us = pronoun.
a = adjective.
court = noun.
for = preposition.
3 (three) p.m. = noun.

P.S.

1. I think that you did a great job with your first sentence.

2. If a teacher disagrees with my analysis, you should believe the teacher, not me.

3. As the teacher poster has suggested, please try to post your answers to the other questions. Then someone will

be delighted to check your answers.

Best of luck,

James

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I was not satisfied with my analysis of your second sentence, so I have deleted it from my first post.

I have checked my books, and I now feel a little more confident.

Here is my analysis. I do not know exactly what your teacher wants, so my analysis may not be what you teacher is looking for.

I = pronoun.

need = verb.

to look = [This is the difficult part. My books tell me that "to look" is the infinitive form of the verb "look." In that sentence, the infinitive is the direct object of "need." It answers the question: need what? Thus, the infinitive "to look" is being used as a noun. But I have no idea what answer your teacher wants. Please let us know when your teacher gives the correct answers to the class.]

for = preposition.

my = possessive adjective.

math = [This is also difficult. "Math" is a noun, but it is being used as an adjective to describe the noun "book." Again, I do not know which answer your teacher expects.]

book = noun.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.