1. Anonymous

Can I use "could" in the if-clause of a past parti

Thank you for your help and

my questions are:

1. Is the following sentence correct grammatically?
    If savings could have been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.

2. If it is correct, what difference there is between the two following sentences? And can we use the word "could" in if-clause of a past participle sentence?

A. If savings could have been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.
    B. If savings had been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I use "could" in the if-clause of a past p

Quote Originally Posted by pb
    Thank you for your help and

my questions are:

1. Is the following sentence correct grammatically?
    If savings could have been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.
    Yes, that one is perfectly fine. :)

Quote Originally Posted by pb
    2. If it is correct, what difference there is between the two following sentences? And can we use the word "could" in if-clause of a past participle sentence?

A. If savings could have been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.
    B. If savings had been made elsewhere, we would have continued to give financial support to local community service organizations last year.
    The intended meaning of both sentences seems to be the same. Yes, you can use could that way.

:)