Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: leaned across

  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 4,559
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    leaned across

    Does "leaned across" mean "bend your back foward or backward"?

    go1-ane
    ex)..From behind her paper, she was flabbergasted to see a neatly dressed young man helping himself to her cookie. She did not want to make a scene, so she leaned across and took a cookie herself...

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,084
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: leaned across

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "leaned across" mean "bend your back foward or backward"?

    go1-ane
    ex)..From behind her paper, she was flabbergasted to see a neatly dressed young man helping himself to her cookie. She did not want to make a scene, so she leaned across and took a cookie herself...
    It seems pretty unlikely to me that a person would lean backwards to take a cookie.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 470
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: leaned across

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "leaned across" mean "bend your back foward or backward"?

    go1-ane
    ex)..From behind her paper, she was flabbergasted to see a neatly dressed young man helping himself to her cookie. She did not want to make a scene, so she leaned across and took a cookie herself...


    It could mean she leant sideways, or forwards, or even backwards.

    But no, 'leaned across' is not restricted to 'bend your back forward or backwards'

    You could also use 'leant' which I believe sounds more natural.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,058
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: leaned across

    Across means 'from one side to the other'. (COED)

    Here's
    a picture of a child leaning across another.

    He/she is also leaning slightly forward, but that's incidental to the main direction of the action.

    Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 03-Oct-2012 at 10:19.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: leaned across

    Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    It could mean she leant sideways, or forwards, or even backwards.

    But no, 'leaned across' is not restricted to 'bend your back forward or backwards'

    You could also use 'leant' which I believe sounds more natural.
    It could sound more natural to you, but I had to look up the word in a dictionary. To me, "leant" (spelled lent in AMe) is the past tense of "lend".

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,084
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: leaned across

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    It could sound more natural to you, but I had to look up the word in a dictionary. To me, "leant" (spelled lent in AMe) is the past tense of "lend".
    It doesn't sound more natural to me either.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,058
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: leaned across

    To me, leant (pronounced lent) is just fine as the past tense of 'lean'.

    Rover

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,084
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: leaned across

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    To me, leant (pronounced lent) is just fine as the past tense of 'lean'.

    Rover
    It's fine for me too, but so is leaned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •