• Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To be employed/to be hired

Dear Sirs,
    I have encountered about finding or making a word for calling a person who makes his/her living on obtaining money from being hired to do some thing (an employee of someone in term of a verb decribing of being employed). Do you have any proper word/s for this kind of being employed, I mean a person who gets the money from being hired to do something for the hirer. I actually don't know how to explain it in English, but I think you can understand what I mean. The verb or words explaining the action of getting a job by being hired by someone/ waiting for someone to hire or employ him/her to do a job for. Is it correct If I say something like these. :-

Undertaking of being employed on the work of making things on dress making/ to be employed on dress making / a hair dressing employee /a person who is in the employ of hair dressing/to be hired to work for hair dressing/ to be employed on hair dressing.

Please help. Thank you for your attention in my topic.

Best regards,
    Piak

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To be employed/to be hired

Quote Originally Posted by Piak
    Dear Sirs,
    I have encountered about finding or making a word for calling a person who makes his/her living on obtaining money from being hired to do some thing (an employee of someone in term of a verb decribing of being employed). Do you have any proper word/s for this kind of being employed, I mean a person who gets the money from being hired to do something for the hirer. I actually don't know how to explain it in English, but I think you can understand what I mean. The verb or words explaining the action of getting a job by being hired by someone/ waiting for someone to hire or employ him/her to do a job for. Is it correct If I say something like these. :-

Undertaking of being employed on the work of making things on dress making/ to be employed on dress making / a hair dressing employee /a person who is in the employ of hair dressing/to be hired to work for hair dressing/ to be employed on hair dressing.

Please help. Thank you for your attention in my topic.

Best regards,
    Piak
    I am not certain that I understand your question. If you are looking for words thsat describe the person's activity, you would be looking for as noun. A person who makes dresses is a dress maker, a tailor, or a seamstress. A person who works in a hair salon is a hair dresser, a beautician, or a barber.

If you are looking for a verb to describe the action, it is different. A dressmaker sews, tailors, or makes dresses. A hairdresser styles, cuts, or colors hair.

If I missed your question, please ask again.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

5 entries found for employee.
    Entry: employee
    Function: noun
    Definition: worker
    Synonyms: agent, apprentice, assistant, attendant, blue collar, breadwinner, clerk, cog, company man, craftsman, desk jockey, domestic, flunky, hand, help, hired gun, hired hand, hireling, jobholder, laborer, lackey, member, operator, peon, pink collar, plug, punk, representative, salesman, servant, slave, staff member, wage-earner, white collar, worker, working stiff, workman
    Antonyms: owner, employer, boss, proprietor, chief executive officer, CEO
    Concept: business person
    Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
    Copyright © 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Piak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Repeat my question

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time extended to my topic but it was indeed my fault for putting such unclear meaning to you. It is because my English is not good enough to express what I really needed to say.

My point is that I need to know how to say or explain the occupation of someone who works on the employ of someone for a job, take it for example, for the hair dresser, he will get money when a customer come to use his service. Is it possible to say that his occupation is to “Undertake the service of being employed on a hair dressing /or being in the service of hair dressing/to be hired for hair dressing/ to be employed on hair dressing. I mean the verb explaining the occupation of a person. Sorry for creating this inconvenience to you.

Thank you again, sir.
    Piak

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Repeat my question

Quote Originally Posted by Piak
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time extended to my topic but it was indeed my fault for putting such unclear meaning to you. It is because my English is not good enough to express what I really needed to say.

My point is that I need to know how to say or explain the occupation of someone who works on the employ of someone for a job, take it for example, for the hair dresser, he will get money when a customer come to use his service. Is it possible to say that his occupation is to “Undertake the service of being employed on a hair dressing /or being in the service of hair dressing/to be hired for hair dressing/ to be employed on hair dressing. I mean the verb explaining the occupation of a person. Sorry for creating this inconvenience to you.

Thank you again, sir.
    Piak
    Ah! We would say that he/she is employed as a hairdresser or works as a hairdresser.