Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

Thanks to someone around the Forum, I discovered the Non Sequitur comic strip. Different characters use expressions like "Politics-shmolitics" or "Ethics-shmethics" with a derisive/humorous demeanor (usually accompnying it with a wave of the hand, as if to get rid of the first term of the couple). And after that, they usually say or do something which is the complete opposite of the term.

My question is: would such terms ("shmolitics", "shmethics") be understood if mentioned in everyday life, or are they just typical of, and confined to, this comic strip in particular?

Thank you.

cahrliedeut

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Smholitics; Smethics, etc.

I think it would generally be understood in the US, and in some parts of the UK. Did it start as a Yiddish expression?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

My question is: would such terms ("shmolitics", "shmethics") be understood if mentioned in everyday life, or are they just typical of, and confined to, this comic strip in particular?

I would have said yes until I read Grumpy's post suggesting it might not be that widespread in the UK.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Did it start as a Yiddish expression?

Not that I know of. However, I have not read all of the comic strips, so it's hard to tell. And then, even I got to read them all, who knows where the idea started.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm pretty sure it did. There are lots of Yiddish words starting with [ʃ] + <consonant-cluster> (schmuck, schlmiel, schtuck, schlep...), and the pairing of one word with a made-up word starting with 'Sch' is widely used - not just in these comicstrips. I first met it in a joke about St Paul being addressed as 'Saul of Tarsus' (his pre-Christian name), to which he replied 'Tarsus Schmarsus, my name's Paul already'.*

But I don't think it's safe just to say 'Yes, these new words starting 'Sch-' are understood'. They need to be paired (with a rhyming real word). Of course, maybe cult followers of that particular comic strip may pick up the reference given just the 'schm...' word, but in Am Eng (and now in Br Eng too) the device is quite common (using pairs, as described).

PS * That timeless use of 'already' is also typical of Yiddish-influenced Am English. I've heard it said that the 'TEA' in Tea Party is an acronym for 'Taxed Enough Already'. (And there was I thinking it was a reference to The Boston Tea Party. ;-))
PPS I've added a c, in deference to the Yiddish, but it's often (or, maybe, mostly) spelt 'shm...'

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Afterthought: as an example of this usage, scroll down to the bottom of this conversation. Note that it doesn't have to be about an abstract noun like politics or ethics - it's just any topic that is not thought worth talking about.

b

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

I've discussed this point at greater length (with a few references) here.

b

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Aargh: :eek:nfire: :oops: Forgive me charliedeut: I edited (and thus removed) your last post to post mine. I hope Red5 can resurrect it - :oops:)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I'm not sure you did- the post is still there, with the link. I am not sure what content is missing, though.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

In fact, with the edition, the only change apparent (at least in my computer) is my avatar appearing, instead of Bob's, at the heading of the post.

Last edited:

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I'm not sure you did- the post is still there, with the link. I am not sure what content is missing, though.
Admins (and possibly mods, I'll have to check) should be able to click on the "Last Edited By ..." text to see the post edit history. Here it is:

[h=2]Post Comparison[/h][h=3]Text Changes[/h]
  1. -
    Afterthought: as an example of this usage, scroll down to the bottom of this conversation. Note that it doesn't have to be about an abstract noun like politics or ethics - it's just any topic that is not thought worth talking about.

b
  2. +
    I've discussed this point at greater length (with a few references) here.​
  3. -
    Yes, I've seen this pairing used with other terms, but politics and ethics are the ones used most often and, therefore, the ones I remembered for examples in the first post. :up:​
  4. +
    b​

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Admins (and possibly mods, I'll have to check) should be able to click on the "Last Edited By ..." text to see the post edit history.
I was able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.