• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Default delete me

Okay so i am native English and i just got a private job teaching English to two young kids aged 6 and 9 in Spain. I have experience teaching conversational English to adults and i am very good with children. But i donīt know where to start, all i know is the job cannot involve too much boring worksheets or cheesy songs. Im looking for ideas for teaching. What will interest them but at the same time teach them. So far i have arty ideas but i guess im lacking in confidence. I dont know if its okay for me to hold up pictures and get them to repeat for the first lesson. I know eventually we will be comfortable together and i can go places with the kids and play sports or whatever, but to start with i need a concrete lesson plan but im struggling to find anything practical but orginal. Also i have some good ideas and im scared the older one will think they are immature. Please give me any and all suggestions...and advice...all welcome, thank you. Id really appreciate a few lesson ideas to start with to get the ball roling in my head

HanibalII is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: got teaching job, now what

Well, to start with, you need to set an example. 'I' is always capitalised.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

What training do you have?

teachyteacher is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I was being sincere and kindly asking for advice from others with more experience. "I" am more than capable of speaking fluent English since I am English and I suppose I thought I could post a quick thread without worrying about such things. But the truth is Iīm not good with grammar at all anyway but I am apparently good enough to obtain Tefl and A level qualifications in English (and speak it). These children speak no English, they will not be writing essays...Iīm teaching them numbers and colours or the word apple for example. I am not an official English teacher in an official organisation. But the great thing about knowledge is it can be shared or taught by those without credentials. I, myself have been taught by friends alot of valuable foreign language skills that saved me from problems, they are not masters of their own language in writing or speaking. Another fact is that maybe the people I am teaching can not afford a teacher with lots of credentials. I was hired on the basis I am a native speaker. How many qualified teachers have the time or the will to work in the middle of the day, each day for a pittance, would you? Nice to teach you, I mean speak to you.

Burn.

about me: Dislike negative attitudes, not a genius at all! But still British and therefore have a way with words.

pazybeloved is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its a good challange for you. Try to get to know your students, about their lives and what they do: sports, friends, pets, family. Most children are fond of chants and activities involving mouvement. Use as much as you can foreign language, showing how to do things with the body and hands. Keep in mind that English classes should be fun, an opportunity to share a good time without being aware there are learning actually.
    Hope it can help you a bit
    Paz

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teachyteacher View Post
    about me: Dislike negative attitudes, not a genius at all! But still British and therefore have a way with words.
    Numbers, colours and apples are fine, but how will you move on from that- it will be very hard to teach an entire course armed with flashcards alone, yet you are dismissive of teaching materials like worksheets and cheesy songs. I believe that you can't teach what you don't know, so not knowing how the language works, and grammar is the building blocks, then you are teaching something you don't really understand. This doesn't mean that you have to force grammar down their throats, but it does give you an understanding about how things work. The ability to play the piano doesn't mean you can train pianists. Of course, you will have more idea than someone who's never played it, but is that enough?
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Oct-2012 at 03:21. Reason: Content altered