English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
As I googled I found lots of pictures for these two terms, the first for slanting eyes, and the second for almond eyes. However, i didn't get the difference. Could you kindly help? By the way, how do we describe Chinese/ Korean/ or Japanese people's eyes?
Should we say almond or oriental or slanting?
Thanks a million.
eyes.jpg1285496916_49263900.jpg

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. I have to be super careful how I answer, for a moderator recently deleted one of my posts because it may have

been insensitive to the feelings of Asian people. (That moderator did NOT send me a private message explaining the

reason.)

2. I live in California, which has many Asian people.

a. I think that I am correct in advising you never to use the word "slanted" in describing Asian people.

b. Neither would I use the term "almond-shaped." (Although this is less offensive than "slanted." Some people

feel that it has an "exotic" sense, especially when referring to females.)

c. Never use the word "Oriental." That is now considered offensive in the States.

James

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an example of the types of things that are simply not talked about. Anything you say could be construed as offensive.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
a. I think that I am correct in advising you never to use the word "slanted" in describing Asian people.

b. Neither would I use the term "almond-shaped." (Although this is less offensive than "slanted." Some people

feel that it has an "exotic" sense, especially when referring to females.)

c. Never use the word "Oriental." That is now considered offensive in the States.

Thank you Parser/ James very much. So what should I use now? It seems all seem offensive. Could you kindly help me with a less harsh term?

Thanks a million.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is an example of the types of things that are simply not talked about. Anything you say could be construed as offensive.

Thanks but how can I help my students? I'd like to know if there's a term for that or not. You know there was a worksheet that the students were supposed to match the words to the pictures, but for slanting eyes the pictures were not clear enough so I googled it and again I didn't get it.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
:shock:Consider a lesson that focuses on people's appearance, big eyes, small eyes, wide forehead, etc. So how can I ignore this reality. At least I can let them know it's offensive if you are addressing an Asian. However, I still think they should know it. I don't know what's wrong with that?

P.S. I myself don't consider it as a way of mocking them at all. In fact to me it's really cute and unique about them. so why should be considered as something offensive against them?:-( They should be proud of being unique.
Thanks a lot.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't think "almond (shaped) eyes" is offensive.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:shock:Consider a lesson that focuses on people's appearance, big eyes, small eyes, wide forehead, etc. So how can I ignore this reality. At least I can let them know it's offensive if you are addressing an Asian. However, I still think they should know it. I don't know what's wrong with that?

P.S. I myself don't consider it as a way of mocking them at all. In fact to me it's really cute and unique about them. so why should be considered as something offensive against them?:-( They should be proud of being unique.
Thanks a lot.
You have a problem. You want to talk about something that is obvious and useful, but no-one will let you use appropriate words. It's a symptom of political correctness gone mad. "Slanting eyes" doesn't sound offensive to me, but it seems to offend Americans. If you're going to describe different peoples of the world, you are going to offend someone. Maybe you could use "East-Asian-shaped eyes". Or you could pretend they don't have a characteristic shape to their eyes.

PS: Or you could ask Asian people how they would prefer the shape of their eyes to be described.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I have just consulted a Dutch-English dictionary. The term we use in Dutch isn't considered offensive*. This dictionary tells me that you can use either "slant-eye" or "slit-eye", but I do not recommend that you use "slant-eye" as judging from this thread, some people find it offensive. "Slit-eye" doesn't appear to be offensive.

*Upon further investigation I have found out that the once neutral term has become an offensive word in recent years.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can assure you that "slit-eyed" or "slitty-eyed" are probably the two most offensive terms you can use regarding people from that part of the world, in BrE at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.