Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I doubt it how many parts the longest verb has in the table.

For active verbs the longest is for the future perfect continuous: will have been doing (four parts,) and for passive verbs the longest is for the future perfect continuous too: will have been being done (5 parts.)

ex.
1. I will have been working for 10 hours till midnight.
2. The building will have been being built for 7 months until the end of this year.

1. Do we have any longer verb?
2. Are these long verbs used in English or they are only in the table?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I doubt it how many parts the longest verb has in the table.

For active verbs the longest is for the future perfect continuous: will have been doing (four parts,) and for passive verbs the longest is for the future perfect continuous too: will have been being done (5 parts.)

ex.
2. The building will have been being built for 7 months until the end of this year.

1. Do we have any longer verb?
2. Are these long verbs used in English or they are only in the table?

2. The building will have been being built for 7 months until the end of this year. Both of these are incorrect.

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"...will have been being built..." Bhaisahab, we cannot use "to be" two times in a sentence, can we?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"...will have been being built..." Bhaisahab, we cannot use "to be" two times in a sentence, can we?

Yes, we can. Bhaisahab was pointing out that the use of "until" doesn't work in either of your examples. You either need to change "until" to something else, or keep "until" and change the verb forms.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Depending on your definition of length, using would have been working would add an extra letter.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, we can. Bhaisahab was pointing out that the use of "until" doesn't work in either of your examples. You either need to change "until" to something else, or keep "until" and change the verb forms.

1. So the active and passive forms of the future perfect continuous are used in every day speaking and writing, Yes? And the longest verb in English has 4 or 5 parts for active and passive sentences respectively, Yes?

2. Would you please correct my two sentences replacing 'till' and 'until' with something? I have no other option to use instead.

Thanks,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1. So the active and passive forms of the future perfect continuous are used in every day speaking and writing, Yes? And the longest verb in English has 4 or 5 parts for active and passive sentences respectively, Yes?

The passive form of any perfect continuous is not commonly used- we generally try to avoid saying it. They are the verb forms with the most words.

2 You could use come:

I will have been working for 10 hours come midnight

PS Please sort your question forms out- adding yes? at the end could be misinterpreted as it is a way of asking questions to patronise, hector, etc.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will have been working for 10 hours at midnight.
At midnight, I will have been working for 10 hours.
I will have been working for 10 hours by midnight.
By midnight, I will have been working for 10 hours.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The passive form of any perfect continuous is not commonly used- we generally try to avoid saying it. They are the verb forms with the most words.

2 You could use come:

I will have been working for 10 hours come midnight

PS Please sort your question forms out- adding yes? at the end could be misinterpreted as it is a way of asking questions to patronise, hector, etc.

Most respectfully I want you to pardon my mistake. It was not deliberate. And please mention any similar mistake in our texts. Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Most respectfully I want you to pardon my mistake. It was not deliberate. And please mention any similar mistake in our texts. Thanks.

I knew it was not the case, which is why I said it could be misinterpreted. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.