Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Different to other Buddha worshippers's pattern showing great respects to Buddhas, Tibetan worshippers would lie face down on the ground on their bellies. What do you guys call this pattern of kowtow? See the pic:

3b0cf877820b3c61b3eb6397050ee0b2.jpg

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To lie prostrate on one's stomach; to kowtow fully; to plank (if not done for reasons of respect, especially in Australia)... ;);-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To lie prostrate on one's stomach; to kowtow fully; to plank (if not done for reasons of respect, especially in Australia)... ;);-)
That's right, it's "prostrating oneself".
(Your allusion to planking in Aus has gone right over my head) :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Your allusion to planking in Aus has gone right over my head) :-(

I think the current fad of "planking" (taking a photo of yourself in random and sometimes very dangerous locations while being in the "plank" position) started in Australia. It has resulted in several deaths all for the sake of some unamusing photographs.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think the current fad of "planking" (taking a photo of yourself in random and sometimes very dangerous locations while being in the "plank" position) started in Australia. It has resulted in several deaths all for the sake of some unamusing photographs.
I know about planking. I didn't know it started here though. Your link suggests otherwise.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know about planking. I didn't know it started here though. Your link suggests otherwise.

Hmm, interesting. Apologies for not reading the full Wiki entry before linking to it. I was only basing it on the fact that when I saw a story about planking on the news here in the UK, the report said that it had originated in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.