Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    nouamaneer's Avatar
    nouamaneer is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Tenerife
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Hello,

    I know it is a bit stupid to ask about this, but is a persuasive essay similar to an argumentative essay or are they different? I'm a bit lost here. I've come across some references that equal them both and deal with them under on single heading.

    Thanks all,


    P.S: I would be really grateful if you had a magic way to teach how to write a persuasive/ argumentative essay.

  2. #2
    Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    I define them rather easily. When writing a persuasive piece, do it gently with care and compassion. When writing an argumentative piece, use your hammer. So, the GOP is a group of nice, but misinformed people, which we can, with care, bring to a reasonable understanding of reality (This is persuasion). But...the GOP is a group of grasping blunder-heads who not only can't tell the difference between black and white, who must have been tutored by the Devil himself, and furthermore, are locked into their idiotic philosophy because of a latent defect in their heritage (This has got to be an argumentative position).

  3. #3
    nouamaneer's Avatar
    nouamaneer is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Tenerife
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Thanks a lot.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Quote Originally Posted by nouamaneer View Post
    Hello,

    I know it is a bit stupid to ask about this, but is a persuasive essay similar to an argumentative essay or are they different? I'm a bit lost here. I've come across some references that equal them both and deal with them under on single heading.

    Thanks all,


    P.S: I would be really grateful if you had a magic way to teach how to write a persuasive/ argumentative essay.
    Argument is based on reason. You can write a persuasive essay using all sorts of rhetorical devices but without giving any good arguments at all. Also, I would have reversed the definitions that Gillnetter gave. If you have good arguments, you don't have to become abusive. You give your arguments for a position and counter possible objections (counterconsiderations). Assuming you're not trying to persuade, that's all you have to do.
    Persuasion usually requires more, because most people don't function purely rationally. If "care and compassion" are not going to work with your audience and the point you have to make, you don't use it.
    In practice, they probably mean the same, as you've found in your research. If you're making an argument, you're usually trying to persuade and vice versa.

  5. #5
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,808
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    I always thought of them as practically synonymous but I see my colleagues' distinctions as sensible.

  6. #6
    HanibalII is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Argumentative, you force somebody to see only your point of view that you're talking about in the writing.

    However with a persuasion essay, you use facts and well sounded reason to help the reader see your point of view.

    Keeping in mind, both must still use an academic register.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    Argumentative, you force somebody to see only your point of view that you're talking about in the writing.

    However with a persuasion essay, you use facts and well sounded reason to help the reader see your point of view.

    Keeping in mind, both must still use an academic register.
    Why do you require facts and well-rounded reason in a persuasive essay, when the main goal is to persuade? Couldn't an essay full of lies and bad reasoning be just as persuasive to some people? How do you explain, say, religion otherwise? What about advertising? That is more persuasive than argumentative. An ad. need simply say "Drink Coke". That might be persuasive, but there's no argumentation there.
    How do you force someone to see only your point of view in an essay?

    To me, an argumentative essay is one that uses argument, regardless of what a persuasive essay is:
    ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY

  8. #8
    HanibalII is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why do you require facts and well-rounded reason in a persuasive essay, when the main goal is to persuade? Couldn't an essay full of lies and bad reasoning be just as persuasive to some people? How do you explain, say, religion otherwise? What about advertising? That is more persuasive than argumentative. An ad. need simply say "Drink Coke". That might be persuasive, but there's no argumentation there.
    How do you force someone to see only your point of view in an essay?

    To me, an argumentative essay is one that uses argument, regardless of what a persuasive essay is:
    ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY

    Sorry, but no, it couldn't be. The point of an academic essay is to provide sound facts and knowledge with credible sources. An essay based on lies would not be an academic essay as it wouldn't be using credible sources.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

  9. #9
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    Sorry, but no, it couldn't be. The point of an academic essay is to provide sound facts and knowledge with credible sources. An essay based on lies would not be an academic essay as it wouldn't be using credible sources.
    I take it you mean, "Yes it could be (just as persuasive), but it wouldn't be acceptable as an academic essay."
    Even that depends. There's no reason why, in a Creative Writing or Rhetoric class, say, that a teacher shouldn't set a topic that required a persuasive argument that used whatever means the writer felt most persuasive. Anyhow, I'm not sure where academia came in. You can open any newspaper and find persuasive essays that rely less on facts than on rhetorical devices.
    A persuasive speech by a politician rarely contains the whole truth and purely factual information. If it did, it wouldn't be so persuasive.
    In any case, I was assuming that the idea of writing a "persuasive essay" was as an exercise in persuasion per se, not just any essay like "The Fall of Rome", in which you are attempting to persuade your teacher that you know what you're talking about and that s/he should give you a good mark.

  10. #10
    Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Persuasive/ argumentative essay

    Quote Originally Posted by HanibalII View Post
    Argumentative, you force somebody to see only your point of view that you're talking about in the writing.

    However with a persuasion essay, you use facts and well sounded reason to help the reader see your point of view.

    Keeping in mind, both must still use an academic register.
    I've heard of, and read a few, writings by Herr Hitler, one time ruler of Germany. The facts he presented were usually twisted and the reasons employed were usually anything but reasonable. His writings can be seen as persuasive ones. In the real world, academic protocols hardly ever apply.

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] A Persuasive Essay!
    By minnie29 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-May-2011, 08:39
  2. Persuasive Essay Help?
    By Th3KaNgSt3R in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2011, 00:53
  3. [Essay] argumentative essay
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2010, 09:18
  4. [Essay] Argumentative Essay
    By soon_2bforensicexaminer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2009, 22:50
  5. persuasive essay
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2007, 02:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •