Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have found these sentences, "If I were you, I would have enjoyed my vacation.", "If I were you, I would have explained what happened." So I think the structure of "If I were...., I would have p.p..." is also possible. Do you agree with the grammar? I really hope to hear from you again. Thank you so much as usual.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have found these sentences, "If I were you, I would have enjoyed my vacation.", "If I were you, I would have explained what happened." So I think the structure of "If I were...., I would have p.p..." is also possible. Do you agree with the grammar? I really hope to hear from you again. Thank you so much as usual.

I would write those as "If I had been you, I would have..."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I think they sound OK as they stand, simply because I think "If I had been you" sounds strange to me. If it were something different like, "If I had been an agent, I would have known about time travel too," I'd use "If I had been ..."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Like Raymott, I would use If I were you there. However, I would not deduce a rule If I were ... I would have pp. It works for If I were you, but it's a special case because I can't be you at you any time. You can't say [strike]If I were there, I would have spoken to her.[/strike]

Status
Not open for further replies.