Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: price-wise

  1. #1
    pato389 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default price-wise

    What's the meaning of price-wise? Can you please use it in a sentence and tell me the meaning?
    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    Quote Originally Posted by pato389 View Post
    What's the meaning of price-wise? Can you please use it in a sentence and tell me the meaning?
    Thanks a lot!
    Can you give the context in which you found it?

  3. #3
    MartinEnglish is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    wise as a suffix means "with regard to this"
    so price-wise means regarding the price.

    "The hotel isn't very pretty but price-wise it was fine for us".

    You can use it with other words too.

    "This has not been a good year sales-wise."
    or
    "Job-wise my life is going ok, I just need to find a girlfriend now!"


    It's quite an unusual structure though so don't start using it too much!

  4. #4
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise


    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****



    Hello,


    Just thought that you would like this example from A Treasury for Word Lovers (1983) by Morton S. Freeman, pages 321 - 322:

    He says that people should not write (or even say) sentences like "Pricewise, we

    have received no complaints from anyone." He recommends a sentence like "No

    one has complained about our prices."

    *****

    Most teachers and books criticize this use of -wise. Others accept it only in

    conversation or very informal writing -- and not too often. Still, there are people

    (such as I) who have no problem with it.

    Here is a bad example of mine:

    News-wise, the [the name of a British newspaper] is not very good, but it's great

    if you are looking for a photograph every day of a beautiful young lady!

    [That newspaper publishes daily the photograph of some young lady who is not

    fully clothed! Some people buy the newspaper for the photograph. They do not

    care that the newspaper does not carry much serious news.]


    James

  5. #5
    pato389 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    Thanks a lot to you all. Now it's much clearer!

    I'll tell you the context in which I found it. It was an interview:
    Robert: The war has affected a lot of things...
    Interviewer: Price-wise?
    Robert: Price-wise, yes. The fuel prices have gone up (etc.)

    You really helped me!

  6. #6
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    Quote Originally Posted by pato389 View Post

    I'll tell you the context in which I found it. It was an interview:
    Can you see that it would have been more helpful if you had given us this context in post #1 rather than #5?

    Rover

  7. #7
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****



    Hello,


    Just thought that you would like this example from A Treasury for Word Lovers (1983) by Morton S. Freeman, pages 321 - 322:

    He says that people should not write (or even say) sentences like "Pricewise, we

    have received no complaints from anyone." He recommends a sentence like "No

    one has complained about our prices."

    *****

    Most teachers and books criticize this use of -wise. Others accept it only in

    conversation or very informal writing -- and not too often. Still, there are people

    (such as I) who have no problem with it.

    Here is a bad example of mine:

    News-wise, the [the name of a British newspaper] is not very good, but it's great

    if you are looking for a photograph every day of a beautiful young lady!

    [That newspaper publishes daily the photograph of some young lady who is not

    fully clothed! Some people buy the newspaper for the photograph. They do not

    care that the newspaper does not carry much serious news.]


    James
    With all due respect to Mr. Freeman and his advice, I'm with you James. Use of the term "-wise" with a variety of nouns is commonly used both in print, in conversation and in advertisements. The term can, in most cases, be loosely substituted for "with regard to".

  8. #8
    Grumpy's Avatar
    Grumpy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: price-wise

    I'm afraid that, usage-wise, I'm a bit of a traditionalist on this, and, advice-wise, I agree wholeheartedly with Mr Freeman.

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] Original price, price after discount
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-May-2012, 16:18
  2. [Idiom] price-quality/quality-price ratio
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-May-2011, 15:50
  3. [Grammar] Price is cheap or Price is low
    By yiuho in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2009, 15:17
  4. price rises vs. price increase
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2008, 14:23
  5. ''rental price'' vs ''price of the rent''
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2008, 07:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •