Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
From Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English 2:
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given.

It was never explained why Gregor decided to leave.

No . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . of Gregor’s decision to leave. (given)

Would you accept, ‘No explanation was ever given as to the reason of Gregor’s decision to leave.’?

The book suggests, ‘No explanation was ever given [STRIKE]as to the reason[/STRIKE] of Gregor’s decision to leave.’

However, would it be OK to include “as to the reason” as wordy version of “why”? Or is "as to the reason" completely redunant here?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An explanation means "to give the reason" for in some contexts so I would say it was redundant.

No explanation was ever given for Gregor's decision to leave.

As you can see, I would have changed "of" to "for" but as "of" was in the original, that wasn't possible.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
As you can see, I would have changed "of" to "for" but as "of" was in the original, that wasn't possible.

Would you always say "explanation for" instead of "explanation of"? I agree with you, but the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English says that you can say either (see explanation - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online, definition #1), but I'm not sure if the choice depends on context or on personal preference.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Status