Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hello. I hope you'll help me because I'm in the quandary about using construction used to +verb. I know we use it for past habits, for things and states that were true in the past, but they aren't true anymore. But, let's take this sentence for example:
"I didn't use to play with dolls when I was a little girl." Does this sentence necessarily mean that I play with dolls now?
And how should I put it if I still don't play with dolls? I suppose: "I have never played with dolls." would be the only correct option, or maybe not?
Thanks in advance on your reply
P.S. Please, feel free to correct any mistakes in my posts

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, aleksije:-D. There are very few mistakes in your post. Well done!

I hope you'll help me because I'm in a quandary about using the construction 'used to' +verb.

"I didn't use to play with dolls when I was a little girl." Does this sentence necessarily mean that I play with dolls now? No. It's a simple past tense statement.

And how should I put it if I still don't play with dolls? I suppose: "I have never played with dolls." would be the only correct option, or maybe not? Yes! That's correct.

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance for your reply.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just click on the Like button when you receive a helpful answer.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.