Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "It looks a little on the cool side" mean?

mo3-46 ex)When (d)my friend Rob headed for a hot dog stand, I decided to keep his company. We watched the vendor put together the perfect hot dog, just the way Rob wanted it. But when Rob took out money to pay him, the man surprised us. “It looks a little on the cool side,” he said, “so you don’t have to pay me. This will be my freebie of the day.” (e)He said thanks, and then we joined our friends in the park. But as we talked and ate, I was distracted by a man sitting alone nearby, looking at us.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The hot dog was not heated to a proper serving temperature, so the vendor did not charge for it.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That doesn't give me such an interpretation of yours, My feeling is that it should be "It looks a little cool on one side" or something. What do you think? Please get rid of my confusion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It could simply have been worded "It looks a little cool" but we use "on the XXXX side" quite frequently, colloquially.

This curry is tasty but it's a bit on the spicy side.
My cousin is a lovely person but he's a bit on the sarcastic side.
Ghostbusters is a great film but it's a little on the silly side.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It might also help to imagine a scale which goes from very hot all the way through to very cold. In the case of that hot dog, if you placed a marker on the scale to show the temperature of the hot dog, it would be placed over towards the side of the scale showing "cool".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! BTW, this is an extra question. I don't know if the same thing is happening to you. I can't see a little bit of the right part of this website after the recent change. Only when I type to the end of the right, I can see the end. Is this my problem or the website one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot! BTW, this is an extra question. I don't know if the same thing is happening to you. I can't see a little bit of the right part of this website after the recent change. Only when I type to the end of the right, I can see the end. Is this my problem or the website one?

It's not happening to me but I have quite a wide screen on my laptop. Perhaps if your screen isn't as wide, the very end is disappearing off to the right.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The same thing is happening on both of the computers I use. I assume that by moving the sidebar to the left side there is not enough room on the right side to display all of the characters.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess it must be screen width. The site is now almost exactly the width of my screen. To the left of the social media buttons there is perhaps 5mm of space, and to the right of the main box about 10mm. The box full of smilies has gone from the right-hand side (for which I'm grateful) as it's easy enough to add smilies from the main text toolbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.