• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default only-necessary?

The success rate of English medium students are higher than the vernacular medium If you can write in English, it is always better to go with English mediumonly.

Is the "only" necessary here?(This statement is given as an answer to the question asking whether English medium is better or not.)

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: only-necessary?

I don't understand the sentence. Are you using the word "medium" to mean "language"?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

david11 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I don't understand the sentence. Are you using the word "medium" to mean "language"?
    Yes, that's what normal people mean here. Medium here refers to the language through which subjects are learned. For instance, I learn geography through french then the french is "referred" as medium.

When I got into college, people ask "In what medium did you study at school?" and I would reply I studied in English medium and some would say, I studied in Tamil medium to mean that all the subjects were in Tamil(except the language, of course!).

What do you say in America to refer to the language through which they study the other subjects?

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd use the word "language" or we would just use the name of the language.

What language was your geography class conducted in? Our geography class was in French.

I can't help you with this post. Your entire sentence is too alien to me. I hope someone else can help you.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    The success rate of English medium students are higher than the vernacular medium If you can write in English, it is always better to go with English mediumonly.

Is the "only" necessary here?(This statement is given as an answer to the question asking whether English medium is better or not.)
    Had it not been for the last few posts explaining the use of the word "medium", I too would have been lost. The best I can do with the piece is:

"The success rate of students who study in English is higher than that of students who study in their native language. If you are able to speak/write English, it is always better to study only in English."

I'll be honest - they're not the prettiest couple of sentences I've ever written but I was trying to keep the meaning (as I understand it) while making it comprehensible and grammatically acceptable.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    Yes, that's what normal people mean here. Medium here refers to the language through which subjects are learned. For instance, I learn geography through French then the French is "referred" as the medium.

When I got into college, people ask "In what medium did you study at school?" and I would reply I studied in the English medium and some would say, I studied in the Tamil medium to mean that all the subjects were in Tamil(except the language, of course!).

What do you say in America to refer to the language through which they ​you study the other subjects?
    If I had taken a course in geography in French, I could say that I studied geography in French. I wouldn't use the words "learn", or, "learned" as I had exposed to the subject from early childhood. I could say that I "learned more" about geography in a class and that the language used in that class was French.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

In India an English medium school is as school in which all subjects (with the obvious exception of Hindi) are taught through the medium of English. This contrasts with Hindi medium schools where English is taught as a foreign language and all other subjects are taught in Hindi. My daughter attended an English medium school in Udaipur, Rajasthan for two years. She was the only native English speaker in the school.