Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:oops: Words have different meanings to different people. What might be the correct way to you might not be the correct way for me. I have a autistic son whom I love and understand his labeling. He understands (his way) as do I. The teachers here have their understanding of (correct english) and there are those who do not.

Which is the correct way of writing Houston or Houseton? Different folks different way of understanding. Is English perfect? Is it better to (understand) what was written as perfect? I see a dilemma concerning (the way of interpreting and using words in English).

I understand the order of the abc's and 123. But it seems there is more than one way or style to use the language. The word linquist (a person who interprets words and their meaning comes to mind). I am against the (word) (perfect) for it leads to pride and mind blindness. The eclipse is because your spell checker does not accept the way these words are presented.

I leave you teachers with this thought. How can one learn the correct way of writing when there are thousands of writers and their style that write (their way)? is there a law that must be followed are, are we banished forever to our way of writing? Thoughts please, no critiquing please. pljames

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you asking if I think that we should have a standard system of spelling? If so, then yes. Do I think everyone should write in the same style? No. You can't call any of them a law. It's not illegal to misspell a word (though sometimes I wish it were!).

There are many ways and styles of using a language but, for me, certain things are set - spelling, the majority of grammar "rules". How we put words and sentences together might be individual but need to make sense.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which is the correct way of writing Houston or Houseton?
The city in Texas? I always assumed it was Houston, but I'm not a local. Why would you spell it Houseton? That's not a stylistic issue.
On the other hand, if a person's name is Houseton, you spell it Houseton.

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
It is the way they pronounce the word not write it.

The city in Texas? I always assumed it was Houston, but I'm not a local. Why would you spell it Houseton? That's not a stylistic issue.
On the other hand, if a person's name is Houseton, you spell it Houseton.

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
emsr2d2,
No on the spelling."[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How we put words and sentences together might be individual but need to make sense". Excellent on this sentence. My argument is the word perfect not the software but just the word perfect. Agreed we need to critically think about the words and sentence construction. But as a free writer (what comes to mind at that time) is my way of writing. I hate to be criticized for my mistakes (therefore I love the spell checker and correct word inference). Thank you for your patience and understanding of getting my point across. pljames[/FONT]

Read more at https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...ving-right-way-write.html#VadCPhAexBYld5Dy.99

I don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you asking if I think that we should have a standard system of spelling? If so, then yes. Do I think everyone should write in the same style? No. You can't call any of them a law. It's not illegal to misspell a word (though sometimes I wish it were!).

There are many ways and styles of using a language but, for me, certain things are set - spelling, the majority of grammar "rules". How we put words and sentences together might be individual but need to make sense.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Raymott,
It is the way they pronounce the word not write it.
Er, but you said "Which is the correct way of writing Houston or Houseton?"
As far as the pronunciation goes, I think a city should be pronounced the way the locals do (in general).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If we wrote the city name how it's pronounced, then we would write "Hoost'n" or something similar.

By the same token, the town of Leominster in the UK would be pronounced "Lee-oh-minster" but it's actually pronounced "Lemster". I love that fact.

If we all chose to spell a city name how we think it sounds, it would be almost impossible to use online maps, sat-nav systems, or address a letter to a friend.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Words have different meanings to different people. - unlikely so, at least on a regular basis. Ambiguous wording could cause misunderstanding, but it's probably more about attitudes than merely words used.

What might be the correct way to you might not be the correct way for me. - probably more from a philosophical point of view than linguistically, imo. As a learner, I wish it was true and my examiner wouldn't penalise me for each inaccuracy. On the other hand, don't you think it could lead to complete chaos?

Which is the correct way of writing Houston or Houseton? - I should think that's what dictionaries are for.

How can one learn the correct way of writing - It could depend on what 'correct' implies. Good spelling and grammar take certain time to learn/teach but it's quite manageable and usually results in fairly understandable writing.

Is your question about how to write to be fully understood?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My argument is the word perfect not the software but just the word perfect.
You have said something similar in several of your posts, without explaining exactly what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.