Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The usage of this and that are quoted from Pratical English usage, Machael Swan 589-590.

589 3. time

This/these can refer to situations and events which are going on or just about to start.

e.g Listen to this. You'll like it. (Not "Listen to that")
Watch this. This is a police message.

That/those can refere to situations and events which have just finished, or which are more distant in the past.

e.g That was nice. What was it? (Not "This was nice")

590 this/that and it:

things that have just been mentioned

1. referring back

This, that and it can all be refer back to things or situations that have just been talked or written about it. 'It' does not give any special emphasis.

So she decided to paint her house prink. It upset the neighbours a bit.

This and that are more emphatic; they 'shine a light', so to speak, on the things or situation, suggesting 'an interesting new fact has been mentioned'.

So she decided to paint her house prink. Thi/That really upset the neighbours, as you can imagine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could anybody explain the difference between s589 and s590 to me, please?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The followings are quoted from Pratical English usage, Machael Swan 589-590.

Could anybody explain the difference between s589 and s590 to me, please?

Thanks for your help.

I wonder if anybody understands what I am asking? I think it is hard to express it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could anybody help, please?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could anybody help, please?
Your question is impossible to read. You haven't quoted any of the "this", "that", etc.
Can you make your question simpler? You seem to be having a problem with the usage of "this" and "that" in relation to time.
You can use either 'this' or 'that' to refer to something that has just happened.
This/that is important to understand.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Your question is impossible to read. You haven't quoted any of the "this", "that", etc.
Can you make your question simpler? You seem to be having a problem with the usage of "this" and "that" in relation to time.
You can use either 'this' or 'that' to refer to something that has just happened.
This/that is important to understand.

'That' to refer to something that has just happened. Does it mean that the usage of that/those is similair to "situations and events which have just finished" as per 589.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Either 'this' or 'that' to refer to something that has just happened. Does it mean that the usage of this/these is similair to "situations and events which have just finished" as per 589.
Yes, if I understand you properly.
If I tell you a few things about English, I can then say, "These are a few things you need to understand." If I tell you one thing, I'd say, "This is something you need to understand". I might also use 'those/that'.

Status
Not open for further replies.