[Grammar] Thank you for having helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for having helped me.

I usually say "Thank you for helping me" but all of a sudden, I am curious to know why we do not say, "Thank you for having helped me." although the act of "helping me" happened in the past. So have you ever used something like "thank you for having helped..." structure before and is there any difference in meaning and usage?

Thank you for your help as usual in advance.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both are correct, but I certainly tend to say "Thank you for having helped me.." if the help occurred some time previously. If the help is still ongoing, or in the recent past, then I use "Thank you for helping me..". So it's all about how long ago the help was given.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think I have ever used "having helped me" when the sentence simply begins "Thank you". I would tend to use:

Thank you for [all] your help.
Thank you for helping me.

In reported speech I might say "I thanked him for having helped me" but I can't guarantee that I wouldn't just go for "I thanked him for helping me".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for having helped me.

I usually say "Thank you for helping me" but all of a sudden, I am curious to know why we do not say, "Thank you for having helped me." although the act of "helping me" happened in the past. So have you ever used something like "thank you for having helped..." structure before and is there any difference in meaning and usage?

Thank you for your help as usual in advance.
I don't think I'd ever find a use for "Thank you for having helped me" in colloquial use.
I can imagine it being said in a more formal context, say a speech, "I'd like to thank my parents for having helped me in my career."

Status
Not open for further replies.