Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will you be a Minister still a week from now?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Context: It is a question asked to a minster, who has corruption charges, in an interview.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is the first time I am seeing the word "still" used in this way.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the difference between the above and this sentence; Will you be a minister after a week from now?[/FONT]

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It will normally be phrased as: "Will you still be a minister a week from now?" or "Will you still be a minister in a week's time?
In this context "still" means "continue to be", or "remain".
There's no difference in meaning between the 2 sentences you have quoted, but I would not use the second one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Will you be a Minister still a week from now?

(Context: It is a question asked to a minster, who has corruption charges, in an interview.)

This is the first time I am seeing the word "still" used in this way.

What is the difference between the above and this sentence; Will you be a minister after a week from now?

The difference is mainly that you won't hear "Will you be a minister after a week from now?" You might hear "Will you be a minister in a week/in a week's time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.