Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
e.g. How much does this really move the needle in the presidential race?

I can't find it in my dictionary. It's from ABC News after the VP debate in the US. I'm quite sure that "this" refers to the VP debate where Joe Biden did a much better job in the debate than Obama did.

Your answer will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not an expression I have ever heard used in British English, but it plainly refers to what extent Joe Biden's performance in the debate has shifted the balance of advantage towards the Democrats in the presidential race. It's a metaphor relating either to the needle on a dial measuring the extent of support for each party, or to the needle on a record player, moving on from one track to the next.

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not an expression I have ever heard used in British English, but it plainly refers to what extent Joe Biden's performance in the debate has shifted the balance of advantage towards the Democrats in the presidential race. It's a metaphor relating either to the needle on a dial measuring the extent of support for each party, or to the needle on a record player, moving on from one track to the next.

Thanks. What you said makes sense in the context. I found no clear answers about this phrase on Google. Is it possible that this phrase is only used in American English? And I'm still trying to find a way to explain it. So let's see how the Americans explain it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here is a "popularity meter". It doesn't matter that it's a child's one. Imagine that it refers to politicians in a race for election. You can see that there is a needle marking the current position, as there is on any kind of meter.

If Joe Biden's performance in the debate made him more popular, the needle will move in one direction. If it made him less popular, the needle will move in the other direction.

Does that help?

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here is a "popularity meter". It doesn't matter that it's a child's one. Imagine that it refers to politicians in a race for election. You can see that there is a needle marking the current position, as there is on any kind of meter.

If Joe Biden's performance in the debate made him more popular, the needle will move in one direction. If it made him less popular, the needle will move in the other direction.

Does that help?

Yeah, it surely works for me. Thank you so much.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Slightly off topic, but although Br English doesn't have the widely used idiom 'move the needle', the idea of a Swingometer is widely known in a British context. (In fact the Wikipedia article starts by pointing out that it refers to British elections.)

b

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Slightly off topic, but although Br English doesn't have the widely used idiom 'move the needle', the idea of a Swingometer is widely known in a British context. (In fact the Wikipedia article starts by pointing out that it refers to British elections.)

b

When I watched the debate, so many phrases like this came out. It was always difficult for me to figure out what they said when they said something in analogy, though I've already had a very great understanding on what they mainly talked about during the debate.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
e.g. How much does this really move the needle in the presidential race?

I can't find it in my dictionary. It's from ABC News after the VP debate in the US. I'm quite sure that "this" refers to the VP debate where Joe Biden did a much better job in the debate than Obama did.

Your answer will be appreciated.
I always that the needle referred to the needle on a seismograph or a seismometer. Both of these devices measure the movement of the earth during an earthquake, with the seismometer being the newest of the two. It is said, in the US, that a person made a "ground shaking" speech, thus, the connection to the devices listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.